New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The links are not working in the first thread so I have created this one

I am just getting into really taking care of my Cougar had it for a few months so I want it to last for few more years.

Anyways, when do I polish, wax and now something I never heard of the use of claybar.
Can someone provide the steps you do in cleaning your car

Do I;
1. wash car
2. dry car
3. wax? or polish? or claybar? or something else
4. wax? or polish? or claybar? or something else
5. and so on

·
Registered
46 Posts
1. Wash

2. Clay bar- Dont press hard with the claybar, or you will just end up putting scratches into your car, you just need to use the lube that comes with it, and just glide the clay bar over the surface. Its just basically supposed to get the contaminants off your paint.

3. Rewash

4. Polish- It puts oils back into your paint that are drawn out by weather, washing, etc.

5. Wax.

This is a really good site to look at for all that information! Click here!

Hope this helps!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Claybar is exactly what it sounds like.. a bar of clay you can find at auto stores for detailing.. You rub it over your paint, and it pulls all the embedded dirt out of the paint.. it makes your paint feel and look brand new.. It's something I think should be done about twice a year. You hafta make sure there is no wax or anything on your paint before you do it. Some people reccomend washing your car with dawn to strip the wax off of your car before claying.

·
Registered
536 Posts
All very good advice but a few points here may need some clarification...

You hafta make sure there is no wax or anything on your paint before you do it. Some people reccomend washing your car with dawn to strip the wax off of your car before claying.
The only thing you need to do prior to claying is wash the car, it is not necessary to remove existing wax protection. A waxed surface will not impede the performance or effectiveness of the clay bar.
However, clay itself can remove some of your existing wax protection, so always be prepared to reseal any areas you clay.

2. Clay bar- Dont press hard with the claybar, or you will just end up putting scratches into your car, you just need to use the lube that comes with it, and just glide the clay bar over the surface. Its just basically supposed to get the contaminants off your paint.
3. Rewash
There is no need to rewash the vehicle after claying. The paint will be at its cleanest state when clayed properly. You can polish immediately after claying.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I rewash it after I claybar to make sure I get all the lubricant off, it tends to leave streaks if I polish and wax afterwards, but thats just me $.02 :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Have you tried using microfibers to wipe off the lubricant when you clay? I use them while claying and also to remove polish and wax residue. They pick up everything and leave nothing but a shine behind.

What kind of polish are you using? You also want to make sure that you only do one section at a time when you clay and wipe up all remaining moisture or lubricant residue before moving onto the next panel. If left to dry on the paint that may lead to streaking, but otherwise I've never experienced any problems.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Originally posted by: CougarKat
The links are not working in the first thread so I have created this one

I am just getting into really taking care of my Cougar had it for a few months so I want it to last for few more years.

Anyways, when do I polish, wax and now something I never heard of the use of claybar.
Can someone provide the steps you do in cleaning your car

Do I;
1. wash car
2. dry car
3. wax? or polish? or claybar? or something else
4. wax? or polish? or claybar? or something else
5. and so on

Once a year I suggest that you:
1. Wash and Drys
2. Clean the surface.... first get rid of the large, above the surface contaminants like Road Tar and Tree Sap, then clay
3. DeWax the surface with 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner
4. Inspect
5. If necessary polish
6. Protect

The rest of the year wax as necessary, wash regularly........ if you get into trouble or need to remove any thing from the paint just ask.

:wiggle:

·
Registered
468 Posts
Originally posted by: CougarKat
how can I tell if I need to polish?

some polish says "once a year"
last time I polished my car was in september that was the first time
Well, there are so many types of "Polish" out there.

If you're using Zaino they call their product a polish so do that as they direct. If you're going to be removing some light surface scratches then you'd use a polish it can be abrasive or not abrasive these days. It is kinda confusing...... so what you'll want to be doing is checking the surface for any light surface scratches after you've DeWaxed it. Your Coug has a clear coat so you won't have to worry about oxidation.

Things to look for anything that's not clear and smoothe. Your Silver will hide quite a bit of the light surface scratches but if you see them you can polish them out depending on their severity. Water spotting, egg damage, tree sap, rock chips... anything.

What you're going to need to do is come back here and once you've found any blem is let us know about what it is and we'll help you troubleshoot it.

:wiggle:

T

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by: DetailingDude

I am sure you have heard of water 'sheeting' off a car.... Here a description of the process and the reason it works:

First off, for best results, this process has fantastic results if your car is maintained with wax.

Step 1:
After you finish washing the car remove the nozzle from the hose.

Step 2:
Slow the water to a steady flow.

Step 3:
Begin to rinse your Coug from top to bottom. I suggest you start in the center of the roof and work your way down and around your car. Slowly run the water across the surface of the roof or hood and work your way around your baby. Do not allow the nozzle to come into contact with the car!

The water will gather itself up (sheet) and roll off the roof. Work down, past the windshield and glass, making your way toward the hood. Repeat the process for the hood & decklid. Now, trickle water over the vertical surfaces (doors, fenders, quarters, etc).

Step 4:
Dry the remaining water droplets with a regular 100% cotton towel. You should be able to dry your Coug in roughly 4 minutes with out breaking a sweat.
This is one of the best "detailing" tips I have read on this board. It saves you a ton of time and makes drying your vehicle a snap. Personally, I finish drying with a waffle weave microfiber towel. Soon after applying this technique last spring I decided to give away my California Water Blade.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
DD, you mention polishing out rock chips. is that really possible? i just got 3 good chips in my fresh paint. :\

1 - 14 of 14 Posts