New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if anyone knows how to do this.... i want to convert my 00 steering wheel to a 01-02 steering wheel.... is this hard, or what...

thanks

·
Banned
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well yeah ur right.... but does any one know how to do this swap

thanks,,, also is there a how-to i couldnt find one

·
Premium Member
16,452 Posts
I got the same thing going, I didnt get a leather wrapped wheel with my 99 so I'm doing a swap.

I'm looking at my new wheel (and the control arm still attached) and I could really use answers to 2 simple questions
is there a way to remove the key switch from the control arm (basically feasibility of modding up a dash mounted ignition)?
before I pull the airbag cover off the wheel in my car, is there anything I need to know?

~Terry

·
Premium Member
16,452 Posts
ya I realized that (I was going to do it with running the headlights to run out any reserve current). sorry simple question here, how do I pull off the airbag cover panels?
thanks
Terry

·
Banned
1,840 Posts
on the back of the steering wheel there are two holes on either side....unscrew the screw in those holes and the airbag comes out

on my 02 it was a torx30 srew in those holes but im not sure if its the same across the other models or not

·
Premium Member
16,452 Posts
Originally posted by: Funkboy316
on the back of the steering wheel there are two holes on either side....unscrew the screw in those holes and the airbag comes out

on my 02 it was a torx30 srew in those holes but im not sure if its the same across the other models or not
priceless, thanks. Some little voice inside me was telling me that just yanking at the cover was the wrong way (its hard to fight the influence of the beer).

~Terry

·
Banned
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
is there really like a how to,,,, or is it just unscrew everything, also how long does this take to do

·
Banned
1,840 Posts
there isnt a how to but it should go pretty smooth...and once you get going it is self explanitory you just undo the airbag....remove the center bolt that holds the steering wheel on..disconnect the cruise control and horn wires(one harness). remove wheel.

then replace it with the wheel of your choice and do everything in reverse order

·
Banned
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
man, im liking ur steering wheel setup, but im going to stay with the 01-02 style.... so really when i just remove the airbag i can just about get the rest done..

thanks,,,

ps how do u remove the air bag, whAt is connected to it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.