New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry if this is the wrong section for this but i need to know how to remove the airbag and steering wheel cover as i have an idea i want to try out but need these thing's out of the way!!.
thank's guy's

·
Registered
517 Posts
youll need to remove the plastic trim around you steering colum. this is the plastic that surrounds you hazzard switch and key cylinder and tilt lever. once thats off you can look on the back side of the steering wheel and you will notice a small slit on the left and right sides of the steering wheel. inside each slit is a screw that needs to come out. again i think its a torx but its been a while since ive have my wheel off. once you take those out your airbag will come right off.
be cautious when working with airbags, they are very sensitive and can blow if not handled properly. disconect the battery before removing. and dont test of tap into any of the wires while the airbags are in the car. ive heard lots of horror stories, but have only seen a bag deploy once. not very cool!
anyway good luck on you project!
josh
ps are you looking to remove the passenger one as well?

·
Banned
1,329 Posts
just make sure u diconnect the battery when u do this, and drane whatever energy is in the car by turning your headlight switch on for like 10 minutes. i did it when i painted my airbag cover on the passager side.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
It is a trox screw, either T25 or T27. And when you get at the screws on the back side of the steering wheel it is the center hole on the top and bottom that release the airbag, then one electrical clip and the airbag is off.

S

·
0 Posts
make sure u unhook the (-) on your batt.. those torx are t25... u dont have to remove the shroud but it helps a lil bit..
remember that they are really really really tight, so u have to use a lots of torque to remove them...
remove from the top.. once u unscrew the top one, just rotate the steering wheel so the bottom one is now on top.. repeat

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by: 1badcat
youll need to remove the plastic trim around you steering colum. this is the plastic that surrounds you hazzard switch and key cylinder and tilt lever. once thats off you can look on the back side of the steering wheel and you will notice a small slit on the left and right sides of the steering wheel. inside each slit is a screw that needs to come out. again i think its a torx but its been a while since ive have my wheel off. once you take those out your airbag will come right off.
be cautious when working with airbags, they are very sensitive and can blow if not handled properly. disconect the battery before removing. and dont test of tap into any of the wires while the airbags are in the car. ive heard lots of horror stories, but have only seen a bag deploy once. not very cool!
anyway good luck on you project!
josh
ps are you looking to remove the passenger one as well?
josh yes i do need to remove the passenger one as well i take it you know how lol???? would you like to share please
:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Passenger airbag is easy:

remove glovebox like 4 screws.
then you'll have to remove the tube that leads to the passenger side vent near the door.
I believe 4 screw hold the airbag in plus one electrical clip.
Also the dash cover is held on my 3 screws take that off and you have one big hold in your dash.

Hardest part is working around the metal support/beam in the dash that thing doesn't want to budge and take a little to work around.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank's brandon.....christmas is going to be busy:crazy: i wont let you know just yet what i have planned incase i cant pull it off but IF i can i think you may like it!!!.............

1 - 9 of 9 Posts