New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just received my Ford Focus Steeda short throw shifter and it can be modified to fit the Cougar.
I've searched the archives and I've noticed there are different shifter mounting towers on different model year Cougars.

Anyway, I'm doing this install on a 99' Cougar. Since this is a true short throw shifter which extends the lower shift linkage below the fulcrum point, I'll be fabricating a riser plate to allow the lower shift linkage to clear the floor pan. I was thinking................making a single custom riser plate wouldn't take me too long, but if others are interested in using the Steeda STS shifter, I could take my time and make a template/jig of this raiser plate so I can duplicate it.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
what's the build date on your cougar. i have a 6/98 one and was wondering about the differences in the shift towers as i know there are.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The build date on my Cougar is 6/99. The attached picture is a diagram of the type of shifter mounting tower I'll be fabricating the riser plate for. This type is relatively easy to modify because the side shaft/spring assembly is mounted on the top plate. The riser will raise the entire assembly including the side shaft/spring assembly.

I could also template/jig the other type of shifter mounting tower if I had one to work on.

Attachments

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmmm....no interest? I guess it's not worth taking the time to make a template.........:shrug:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I just picked up some 1/4" steel plate, so I'll start on the shifter project right after I complete my Turbo install. I've taken a few days off from work, so I'm planning on working on the turbo today. Hopefully I won't run into any other unexpected problems like I did with the manifold clearance the last time.............:biggrin:

Anyway, I have enough steel to make a few riser plates.......I'll hang on to one for you Leibler.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info.......I didn't get around to making the plate yet. Although just buying their riser plate would be more convenient (btw $10.00 is not a bad price), I actually enjoy doing the fabrication work myself........not to mention it'll only cost me a couple of dollars to make one.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
in that case, i will keep you in mind for my manifold adapter fabrication! ;)

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
anyone bought this and using this set-up? i am veryinterested in this.

·
Registered
421 Posts
dude...my coug is a 6/99 build....but im in stupid FL....how much would you charge? for the plate...no s&h

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
03-03-2004, 09:13 AM
I don't think any of those people even frequent the forums anymore. :eek:

I must say, if there were issues with needing some sort of "adapter plate" to allow a STS to fit, it would have come up more frequently. I may be getting a COSMO STS soon, so I guess I'll find out for myself.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
the cosmo i have problems with thats why i am getting new one.

i was looking at the tri ax or the b and m

·
Registered
868 Posts
I hear plexi is a good material to make a plate out of...easy to cut and sturdy figued id chime in

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
B&M all the way!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts