New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
once or twice every couple weeks i go to start my car and it makes a grinding noise im thinking mabey the starter is going and im worryed it will get worse as the winter goes on and it gets colder and wetter out? anyone know app. what it would cost to get it fixed if it is or any other ideas on what it could be?

·
Banned
5,851 Posts
mine has been making that noise for like a year, it really only does it when its cold out or sits for a while, it's like $160 for the part and it aint to hard to replace yourself, just have to take out the owm air filter and its pretty much right there

·
8,582 Posts
Starter and/or flywheel/flexplate. I wouldn't let it go. If it's just the starter, it'll soon be the flywheel/flexplate, and it'll cost a lot more to fix.

·
Registered
164 Posts
a whole lot more if you ruin the flexplate because you'll probably have to pull the motor to get to the flex plate...very expensive

find a starter on ebay, where i have seen them for well under 100. Install is not too hard, three bolts and electrical connections.

good luck!

·
Registered
516 Posts
I am not sure if I am having the same problem as described above. Mine happens irregularly, but also more often when it is colder.

The starter seems to spin (making funny (grinding?) noise), but does not engage and turn the engine.

Is that the starter?

I know that Autozone offers to check the starter; and there are rebuild kits.

What is the best approach?
a) Take the car to Autozone (maybe then can do a test with the starter in the car)?

b) Take it out and take it to Autozone for a check. Possiby repair/fix?

(I have seen starters that just don't "jump out" (the gear moving forward to engage), either the coil or lubrication.)

c) Buy used one on Ebay for $50-100, change out?

Volker

·
Banned
5,184 Posts
The gear is just worn down, if you can get a new gear, fine just replace it, but it's worth it to get a new one from a parts place because if you get it from ebay there will be no warranty. But these are designed so that the gear will wear before the flywheel/flexplate get damaged.

IT's pretty easy to replace and it takes about 45 minutes with regular tools

You need a 13mm wrench and socket 15mm wrench and socket, 10mm socket and a 18" extension.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm gonna be replacing mine soon too (same grinding noise every few times I start the car). My Chilton's says you have to disconnect fuel lines, heater hoses, cruise control, and shift cable to get at the starter....is all that really necessary, or can you sort of wiggle it out without unhooking all that stuff?

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm gonna be replacing mine soon too (same grinding noise every few times I start the car). My Chilton's says you have to disconnect fuel lines, heater hoses, cruise control, and shift cable to get at the starter....is all that really necessary, or can you sort of wiggle it out without unhooking all that stuff?
Here is what AutoZone says: Maybe someone can shed some ligth (walkthrough?) on the procedure:

2.5L Engine

Disconnect the negative battery cable.

Remove the engine air cleaner assembly.

Remove the fuel feed and return lines from the support bracket located on the accelerator cable bracket, and remove the fuel line bracket.

On vehicles equipped with a automatic transaxle, remove the gear selector and the gear shift cable bracket from the transaxle.

Remove the air cleaner support bracket from the engine and transaxle mount.

Remove the nuts on the starter terminals and remove the cables from the terminals.

Remove the starter motor-to-transaxle case retaining bolt at the rear of the starter.

Remove the two starter retaining bolts and carefully lift the starter from the transaxle case while disengaging the alignment pins.

To install:

Position the starter onto the alignment pins and onto the transaxle case.

Install the two starter retaining bolts and the rear retaining bolt and tighten them to 15-21 ft. lbs. (21-29 Nm).

Place the starter cables onto the terminals and tighten the retaining nuts to 80-124 inch lbs. (5-7 Nm).

Install the air cleaner support bracket.

If removed, install the gear shift selector and bracket.

Install the fuel line bracket and install the fuel lines in the bracket.

Install the air cleaner assembly.

Connect the negative battery cable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
@jrak: Which steps would you cut out? My starter's going bad as well (the grinding sound is getting annoying and embarrassing, especially when every head in a parking lots turns my way when it does it), and I plan to replace with some help from my dad over the Xmas holiday.

Would like to disconnect as few things as possible.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Try replacing the starter, if the sound still persists, then it's your flexplate/flywheel. I have this same problem and is embarrassing as hell, i mean... picture a sexy ass looking car sounding like a car that is gonna take a **** on you... wtf?

Btw to replace the flexplate, the tranny would have to be removed to get to it... a shop would of charge me 500$ but i said no cuz i didn't have the money...

I got under the car and saw the teeths of the flexplate and some teeth were damaged, it blows major balls.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.