New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jamie here. Just throwing up some pictures of my new car build and the start of my rebuild on the 99 Cougar. That car was my first car that I modded. EVERY inch of it was done by me, including the exhaust. I know it's far from perfect but it was my starter car and now that I know WAY more than when I started, I will redo it better. The new build is a 97 Chrysler Sebring. I am building this car for my wife who is actually deployed to Baghdad, Iraq right now. She is due back at the end of January so it has to be done by then. I am thinking of doing a 98 Supra tail light conversion and have even ordered the lights for Japan (see pictures) but I don't know. Skyline tail lights would fit perfect but where's the challenge. I will be updating this thread with more info as it is happening. I will also finally show the rear mount turbo install on the cat! That will have to wait though because I HAVE to have this car ready for her. Well, wish me luck and any helpful thoughts would be appreciated, thanks and later.

-Jamie D. Shaw

Right before I took this picture a bird decided to let it fly landing right on my door panel!:rofl:

For the 97 Sebring, the drivers door will be lambo and the passenger will be suicide. I am doing all the work myself so. The paint job will be a pearlescent white.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, to be honest J-Man. There not so much random as "different." I understand that different Cougar owners have different tastes. Mine was actually more of a learning experience and a challenge to be different. yes, there aer DEFINITELY better looking 99-02 Cougars but I did literally EVERY inch by myself with absolutely no outside help. And I am going to redo the whole car in a month or so. So, anyone with negatives PLEASE remember... I KNOW ALREADY!!:biggrin: This car was a practice car. I can guarantee when you see it again, it will be WAY better. Oh, and the bulges are from different car wide kits. Those Z3 inserts are actually from a member on the boards. I just wanted to do something different vs. molding them into the fenders like EVERY other Z3 owner.

·
Registered
60 Posts
ah yes i can certainly respect different and hard work

how come the sebring will have different doors? why not both lambo or both suicide? or more practice?

taillights should be pleasant to watch unfold

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments so far. The reason I decided on lambo/suicide is because I just want to do something a little different (I know there are people that already have this kind of setup though).This car however will be more of a smooth look to it. The Cougar was my first "DIY" car and it was my teacher so. Yeah, my goal is to have the Sebring done around Thanksgiving. Those flares were made by me using chicken wire, styrofoam, and fiberglass.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
The cougar looks good, any chance u can get some close up pics of the sides?

·
Registered
333 Posts
It is definitely different, but I LIKE it...the "bulges" give it a whole new look, kinda like a Porshe breed..plus originality is what it is all about, I'm sure alot of hard work was put in to that car, and I bet the Sebring will look even better, keep up the good work :thumbsup:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those were my thoughts when I started working on it. I just wanted something to make the Cougar stand out. I understand it's not EVERYone's cup of tea and I respect that. I did this by myself in my garage from the tire's on the rims to the paint.

Devin, how close? The car is in the second garage right now getting ready to be redone after I finish the Sebring. Just let me know what you are looking for and I will try to get them to you. Later. (PS: If that is your car in your sig, those are some nicely done drift side skirts.)

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
i would just like to see the sides closer, nothing special. and yes that is my car in my sig

·
Registered
670 Posts
I dont even wanna know how many cracks would be on that car in 3-5 years with all that fiberglass/bondo ! "With all the car flex " Not to mention thats gotta be like 300 Lb's added to the car..

It's differnt but... idk, to me it looks bulky.. it would look nice if they were worked into the car, smoother edges instead of steeper inclines..

* Just giving idea's for ur next Project

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
can you get a closeup of your headlights on the coug, those look sick!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's true about the stress cracks. But in all honesty, I will just do it over again. It's NEVER going to be a show car because I would not only get laughed at but probably banned from the show so imperfections aren't that big of a deal to me. Now if I had of paid a shop to do it then yeah but it was just me in my garage. This car was strictly a project for me to learn on. The Sebring will be WAY better becasue I can use what I learned from the Cougar. I will try to get you some close ups of the headlights if possible, same for the sides Devin. It has started to snow here....nooooo!:mad:

PS: The weight factor is not that big of an issue because except for my racing seats and door panels, it's a shell with an engine almost.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I like it.

Reminds me a bit of those amazing Audi Quattros (sp) from the 80's drooooool

Mind you, it does currently look like a 4x4 ! Lower the thing please ;0)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wish I could lower it Shag. It snows here more than it doesn't. I just tried to go with bigger rims versus having smaller ones and dropping it. This car however is no longer my daily so driver so who knows:naughty:..... I now have a Honda to punish in the winter:evil:

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I just tried to go with bigger rims versus having smaller ones and dropping it.
I prefer big rims and dropping it... =) 19" wheels w/ Koni/GC combo FTW.

E1

1 - 20 of 33 Posts