New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a new 3L V6 mondeo ST220 engine from a guy who sold it on as he ended up selling his cat to buy a 350Z. Anyway... the engine is fully built up but the engines exhaust and intake ports were just taped over with masking tape. If you run your finger in the ports there is a small amount of dust etc. Would the engine be safe to install and run or would people recommend removing the cylinder heads and inspecting the internals?
A friend of mine said that if he had bought the engine its what he would do. He said the cylinder bores could be all rusted etc. :(

Also a guy at work said i should be turning the crankshaft over about 1/2 a turn every couple of weeks or so???

·
8,582 Posts
It seems like it'd be a LOT less trouble to check it and find problems now than it would be to install it and find problems later...

(Of course that's easy for me to say since I'm not the one doing it. :) )

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems like it'd be a LOT less trouble to check it and find problems now than it would be to install it and find problems later...

(Of course that's easy for me to say since I'm not the one doing it. :) )

Yeh i know what you mean. I dont want to take my engine apart as i have never done anything like that before. Iv lowered my car a few times, replaced CV joints etc but nothing on the engine before. I wouldnt trust myself... or it would take an eternity to do.

·
8,582 Posts
I don't think it'd take that long to tear one down and build it back up. And when you're done, you'll have new rings, etc., which is never going to hurt. I've never done it either but if you're not in dire need of the engine right now, it'd be a great way to learn and a great way to help yourself down the road.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A guy on ukcougar.com sent me this via a PM, what do you guys think?

Rick-(FrostyV6) said:
Hiya mate,

Sorry to see that you're considering selling your engine? Must be a shame after having spent so much time and energy on getting hold of it in the first place :(

I dont know the full story, but i keep hearing you mention that it has been stored incorrectly, and has dust down the inlet ports on the cyl heads (is that right?) ???

I know that you'd want to do everything totally and utterly by the book, and all that "hope for the best, but plan for the worst" type approach to things, but i cant think why you'd want to take the cyl heads off?
If it were me, id try and cobble together a contraption of a bit of plastic flexible hose (the same sort as used on a air pump for a fish tank or something, then buy a little funnel and tape it all together onto the end of the vacuum cleaner so that i have a narrow suction tube.
Then presuming all you're worried about is foreign objects possibly being inside the cylinders? just remove the spark plugs and spend a long time probing around all you can to see if theres anything in there, also get one of those telescopic magnets and poke that down, if theres a nut or screw in there you can fish it out? you can do that also for the inlet ports on the clyinder heads to check that nothing is down there resting on a closed valve etc.

It would be totally ace if you could get hold of someone with an endoscope? (know any doctors or surgeons?) or even a tiny camera say from a broken mobile phone you could drop down into the cylinders with a Led light source, then you could check the cylinders are clear??

If they are, then im sure you'd be ok by pouring oil down each sparkplug hole (about 6 tablespoons of oil in each) and once thats done for all 6, gently turning the engine over by using a long arm on a socket on the crank pulley nut? This would free up any superficial rust holding the piston rings to the block?(presuming you were also worried about this)? you should be fine really? Its a new engine and is very unlikely to be siezed?

I know that the suggestions ive made sound really far fetched, but id personally do my utmost to avoid taking the cyl heads off a decent engine. Its way too much work and it would be easier to try and rig up a little spy camera from maplins, or using an old mobile phone, or webcam etc to perform your inspection.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I don't know hardly anything about internals, but I am pretty sure that if all it is is a little rust, you'll be ok. When the pistons get cranking again and the fuel/air get into it, it should take care of that if that is really all that is there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.