New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search for this and couldn't turn up anything to pertinant so I'm going to ask... I seem to have some brake dust that's stained on to my rims. Has anyone else seen this and know how to get it off? Normal scrubbing and wiping doesn't seem to work. Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
can try a small bitt of goo gone, or some meguires hot wheels wheel cleaner

·
Registered
404 Posts
maguires gold class wheel cleaner...comes in a see through red bottle....smells like crap but works like a charm..

lAdZ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went out and cleaned the hell out of them with some WD-40, took most of the stains off except for what looks to be some kind of plastic coating that's starting to peel. I'm gonna pick up some goo gone and maguires tomorrow and see if I can get the rest off.

·
Registered
469 Posts
i had this problem on my rims and tried everything out there that you can possibly buy. wizard was the only thing that worked the best but a pain in the ass to do. no clean or spray helped. i am going ot buy that new stuff they advertise calle kaboom or something......they say it removes everything no mater what it is.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eagle makes a metal polish that should take the dust off. Once you do find something to remove the dust, wax your rims. Once they are waxed, brake dust will rinse/wipe away....I wax my wheels once a year and have no problems with brake dust anymore...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well since its been brought up, how often does everyone wash thier rims ?
seriously i wash mine with a power washer every 2 days, if not every day .. brake dust sucks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like Slickmonkey said, take em each off and wash em individually, I used bug&tar remover on mine and it took off EVERYTHING, then wax em once a year, makes clean up a snap.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Armour All sells something called "Rim Cleaner". It's a trigger spray bottle. Spray it on, wait 60 secs, then hose it off. It sz to not get any on your brakes (they will squeal....I know), so I recommend taking the wheel off to do this. Your wheels will look like new. Once their dried, wax them. Afterwards, you can remove the brake dust by wiping them with a damp cloth, or using a pressure washer on them.

·
Banned
317 Posts
beware of harsh wheel cleaners, i used one on my 91 tracer (R.I.P) and my aluminum wheels started flaking... it wasnt pretty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts