New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question I can't seem to find an answer to, I've got a ST220 UIM with the ST220 LIM, hoping to fit it onto my Full 3.0 (2003 Escape). I tried to fit them today onto the engine. The LIM fits onto the 3.0 heads but will need a tad bit of grinding, unfortunately the UIM looks like it's hitting the rear valve cover.

I'm using the 2.5 valve covers, and I've heard spacers are required with 04+ covers I was hoping it'd fit the 2.5s without spacers but perhaps not? I thought maybe grinding off the coil pack bolt holes on the cover, but didn't want to do that unless I was certain that would work.

I've still got the 03 Escape Covers, if they are lower perhaps I could run the one on the rear? (With the 2.5 cover on the front)

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
That doesn't sound right.
Do you have the spacer that goes between the LIM and UIM?

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Your lack of clearance on the valve covers would seem to indicate that you need it...
Is there enough clearance above the injector rail with the injector wires plugged in? I'll bet not.

I could probably be sweet-talked out of my spacer if you don't have one at all. I don't think I'll be using it anytime soon. PM me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I haven't tried it with the injector loom or fuel rail bolted in yet. But I'm guessing there will need to be more clearance when those are attached?

I've sent you a PM :)

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Yeah, the injector rail and wiring takes up more space than you expect it to.
You do have the ST220 fuel rail, right?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have the ST220 Fuel Rail, hoping the Escape rail will fit to be honest. If not I think the Mazda MPV rails are the same as the ST220 (The LIM is the same)

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I dont know about the MPV rail, but the escape rail will not fit. You really need a complete set of matched LIM, Spacer, and fuel rail.
I couldnt find my spacer last night, I'll try to take a better look this weekend.
The simplest solution for you might be to either order a whole new set with all the parts, or just take a complete plastic intake from a Taurus or Escape and call it good. I don't think there's any significant advantage to the aluminum LIM over the plastic one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I just had a test fitment today, I mocked up the Escape fuel rail onto the LIM and it appears I just need to shave off a tiny tab at the back and it should bolt in as hoped.

I should clarify that I'm using a MPV LIM, but it is identical to the ST220 LIM, they have the same part numbers. So I'll pickup the MPV rail if it doesn't fit after the modification. I also fitted the plastic Escape rear valve cover but I'll keep the 2.5 cover at the front. It looks as though I may not need the spacer as the UIM appears to clear the cover now, but I'll let you know when I bolt it all down.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay so a bit of an update I got the ST220/MPV LIM to bolt in with a little bit of grinding, but all the holes match up. I fitted the Escape rear valve cover as it is indeed shorter than the 2.5 cover. I put the fuel rain in with the injectors also and attempted to fit the ST220 UIM and it looks like it clears the valve cover and fuel rail.. just lol. It pretty much sits directly on top of the rear cover.

Only other problem now is I've attached the wiring harness to the engine and it looks like the Escape fuel rail needs some grinding done to it as it is restricting the wiring harness from plugging into the injectors. After that is sorted, engine will be going in. Fingers crossed she will run.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts