New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Friday, I noticed that an approx. 1' long crack had developed on the passenger side of my windshield, so I filed a glass claim with my insurance company, and a mobile glass truck came to my work this Monday afternoon to replace the windshield. They started the job at about 1:40 P.M. today, finished around 2:30 P.M., and I drove the car the hour commute home starting at around 5:30 P.M. When I first started driving, the windshield was "squeaking" on bumps, almost like a sneaker squeals on a gym floor during a basketball game. About twenty minutes later, the squeaks turned to mere rattles, and that's how it continued for the rest of the drive home.

Does this ordinarily happen with newly installed windshields? Do I have to give the new windshield seal more time to "cure" itself and these noises should subside, or is this an immediate sign of something being awry with the installation?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I would just call the company and tell them that it makes noise. They should come back out and fix it. I had the "Guys in the Little Red Trucks" out 4 times on my window until they had it right! I was always getting wind noise, but it was finally fixed.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I must say, a big bonus of having the windshield replaced is that an extremely annoying, high-pitched freeway whistle has now completely disappeared, so I'm happy with the installation in that aspect. :)

I'm going to see what kind of squeaks or rattles I get over the next day or two. Who knows, it might not be completely cured yet -- they did tell me no car washes for two days. They probably wouldn't send someone right away to fix it anyway, because there's a big snowstorm headed our way for Tuesday and Wednesday.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I see you're in Connecticut. Windshields are supposed to be changed in 40 degree weather and above. Depending on what kind of adhesive they use, in freezing temperatures it will never cure. Best case scenario, if the guy uses the fastest drying adhesive, the car still has to sit in a garage for at least 4 hours.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I kinda thought that it had to be fairly warm in order for the urethane to cure, but then again, I didn't question them because they must do this all the time, right? :shrug:

It seems okay today, but then again, I really haven't been listening for it much between the radio and concentrating on the sloppy roads this morning from the snowstorm. I'll have to listen more closely tonight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts