New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i posted about a month ago about my engine knocking, thought i had a collapsed lifter. well just found out i spun a rod bearing. has anyone els done this? just curious how much money and work is involved in fixing it?

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,979 Posts
Jorgen has - RECENTLY, and nadthomas just did an engine swap because of a bearing that was on its way out.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have kind of the same sound only from about 4000rpm up. What could that be? I'm under warranty still, but I've got a lot of stuff done to my car. Hopefully if it [censored]s the bed they'll still fix it.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
HLA tap = idle, disappears with increased revs (and corresponding increase in oil pressure).

Rod knock = May be present at idle, gets WORSE at revs. May disappear intermittently as oil attempts to fill the gap of the bearing, but it comes back quickly.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Well, I dont think it's a rod knock because it's been doing it for about 10k miles. It does get worse at revs. The engine only has about 23k miles on it. I also have really bad timing chain chatter on cold start ups and while shifting (i.e. load to no load). I"m stumped.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Sounds like a bad oil pump or a clogged pickup (or something clogging an oil supply line)- You're not getting the oil to where you need it- The chain tensioners, the chain guides, and cam sprockets. The HLA tap would be worse without sufficient oil flow.

·
Registered
421 Posts
What can I do to fix this? Would an oil additive help, or is the only way to fix it to tear apart the block? Or maybe go to 0w30 oil?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.