Air bags or coilovers are more for show with less performance on mind also coilovers are pain in the ass cuz it's hard to adjust them all the same height also you with have to blance it everytime you change the height or the tires will be gone very very fast. Springs gives performance much better handling but ofcoz you can't adjust it. I had used GC coilovers and Eibach Springs and i decided to stick with springs ^.^
"Air bags or coilovers are more for show with less performance"
Thats partly true. Air bags are for show. Your handling will GREATLY decrease with bags. Coilovers on the other hand will improve your handling. The springs are stiff, and if teamed with the proper struts, it can be a great setup. The adjustability is nice, but, realistically, how often will you actually change the height?
Now, I have Eibach springs, and I love my suspension setup. If I had to recommend springs that are performance oriented, i'd say go with Eibachs, Roush or H&R. If you just want a nice drop, go with Intrax or B&G. If you want good performance with the advantage of adjustability, then Ground Controls is the way to go. In the end, it just depends how much you want to spend, and what your goal is.
If you go with the coilover there are a few things you should do.
1) After you cut off the spring perches paint the exposed metal in additon to the D-collars you will install.
2) Use anti sieze on the pinch bolts
3) Purcahse upgraded bearings for the front and keep them greased (and check them atlease twice a year. Before and after winter)
4) Keep an eye on your strut mounts. I have blown out all 4 on mine since I've had them installed (installed at ~50k now at ~85k)
5) Don't bother putting them on any other strut than konis. You will kill the truts in short time if you do.
6) Adjusitng them is easy. Just count the number of truns fromthe bottom and keep that number equal for each side on a particular end of the car. The only thing is htat you will have to have the entire end of the car in the air to really adjust them as the sway bars will still load ou the springs if one wheel is on the ground.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
A forum community dedicated to New Edge Mercury Cougar owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about troubleshooting, builds, ZETEC, maintenance, performance, modifications, classifieds, and more!