New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am creating this thread to generally discuss sponsorship, and different methods of obtaining sponsorship. First off, let me tell you where I come from (briefly). I live in the main city of Newfoundland, Canada - St. John's ... which is a small city compared to most, but we are always trying to catchup with everyone else. With this in mind, the car scene here is just starting to blossom (literally) - meaning, there is a HUGE potential for sponsorship; mainly because local companies (ex. BodyShops; Performance Shops; Stereo Shops, etc) are one-by-one beginning to realize that showing off their "stuff" by installing it in local vehicles is a great way to advertise... especially if that car attends carshows and local car lot-night meets. So far we have 2 local performance shops that have opened up (CarToys & CarTunes) that specialize in "modding" your vehicle, and both of them have already sponsored 1 local car each, along with having a few done-up cars of their own. But now, other older companies are beginning to sponsor vehicles, and I want in before all the good spots are gone!

Before getting into "how" to get your car sponsored, lets talk about what it means to have your car sponsored. My understanding of this whole sponsoring racket is basically this... they install stuff in your car, make it look totally cool, while you agree to attend car shows & meets; sport their logo on your car; and spread a good word about their company. Do I have it just about right?

Now, onto "how". I've spoken to a couple of companies about sponsorship, and their initial reaction is usually "no, we don't do that." But just recently, I've gotten a "humm.... maybe" from one guy for a custom airbrush job (but he's already sponsored a guy). But I think I'm taking this totally the wrong way, I'm starting to think that I should be almost developing a "resume" for my car, detailing the car shows I've attended & awards I've won along with my involvement in the car scene (I'm an executive member of the first local sport compact car club that puts off the largest local carshow each summer) and also state what I can do for the company. Maybe something like a PressKit with a CD of a short movie and picture slideshow of my car. Is this too much? Or am starting to understand how I am suppose to go about this?

Please, go easy on me, I'm new to the scene, and I'm surrounded mainly by people that have no clue what the hell it is I'm doing to my car, and just don't understand what it means to be a tuner. And on that note... lets start the discussion! :)

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
i thought being sponsered ment that the company pays X% of all the pats you buy, for putting their name on your vehicle and attending X amount of shows each yeah. so nothing is free except the decals and logos for their company that you get on your car. thats how one guy described John (Madcat)'s sponsorship to me. but the resume idea sounds good! same with the DVD or whatever idea!

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
302 Posts
no, not sarcstic. I was just saying good luck getting some. So your one of those, the cup if half empty people. Trying to put a bad twist to my words. jk

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Your gonna want to start making a folder for your car. Including....

Shows
Magazine coverage
Media coverage
Mods
Poss Mods
Trophies
About yourself
What you have to offer and why there company

THere is more but someone else can chime in.

C

·
0 Posts
Getting a good sponsorship is pretty difficult. Basically, you have to have already put a LOT of your own money into the car. If a company is going to sponsor a car, they want it to be noticeable and get a lot of attention, and therefore get them a lot of business. So don't think that you can have a bone stock car and get a bunch of sponsorships to trick it out (not saying that you do, just saying this for anyone who might have that impression). Companies also want someone who they know is serious about the car scene and has attended/won a good number of car shows. So a "resume" for your car is definitely a good idea. It's also a plus to have other sponsorships. Most of the bigger companies (ie Aerogear, JL Audio, etc...) will be more likely to help sponsor your car if they see that other companies have already done so. So you may want to start off small (it sounds like your going in the right direction by aiming for local shops), and then work your way up to the bigger fish.

As far as sponsorship types, each company will sponsor you in a different way. Some might give you a certain product or number of products for free, some may give you anything they off at cost, and some might just give you a certain percentage off their products. But the ones who'll give you stuff for free are pretty rare. Unless they're giving you something small like a shifter or pedal set. And each company will have you make a deal or sign a contract to meet certain criteria. You may just have to put a sticker of theirs on your car, or you might have to say you'll attend x amount of shows in the next show season. It really depends on the company that sponsoring you. Basically, sponsorships are pretty varied, but almost all of them require you to put a lot of your own time, effort, and money into your car before they'll invest theirs.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I work at a high perf./custom body shop. We have a customer car that is sponsered (for body work, etc) by the shop i work at, as well as a lot of other major companies. This individuals car was already a show winner prior to his sponserships. He invested a LOT of his own money to build the first version of his car. His deal with Blaupunkt (sp?), Toyo Tires, Ro_Ja and others required him to attend X amount of shows, appear in their vendor booths at certain car shows, as well as other hoops he had to jump through. From what I remember he had a portfolio/resume of his car that he sent out. After he got a few of the major sponsorers, a lot more companies took his car/proposition sereously.

Words of advice:

Make sure you actually have a car first. The car, in my opinion, HAS to be done before the start of the show season. If you tell the company that you have X car, lets say a widebody custom silver cougar for the example, actually have the car in the state you say it is. Don't be PLANNING on doing the bodywork etc down the road, actually have the completed car. Show the company that this is your car, wouldent their product look great with it? This changes if what you are looking for is bodywork but the concept stays the same.

Plan on car shows taking over your life. I know our customer had to take a lot of time off of work to meet the scedule that his sponsorers required. Think of it as a job. You are getting paid in discounts/product for being there.

If the **** hits the fan, be prepaired to pay back your spons. From what I understood if he broke the contract (didnt show up at the required/number of shows he had to) he had to pay back EVERYTHING of what he was spons. for. That was a LOT of money. We arent talking about a few thousand here. Returning the product wasn't an option in his case. That was his deal as I understood it from him. Others contracts may be different.

Anyway thats my knowledge/advice

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
ok i have only just got sponsership in the uk from a relativly small company first year in buisness but i get my stuff for free BUT i have to attend a lot of local cruises and nearly all of the big one's, now i dont have a contract as such but if i dont generate any extra buisness then obviously i wont get much free stuff!!! lol i also have to pay a percentage toward's advertising materials flyers mainly to hand out to people with web address etc on it when im attending show's.
hope that helps some and good luck hope you find something.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is excellent information guys!

Just to let you know, my car is already heavily modded. I've put about $20,000CAD into it, and I'm thinking she's ready for the sponsorship route.

Thanks again!
Darrell.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
i dunno about that...
i just checked out your cougardb pictures and you don't really have anything that 75% of the people here dont already have. $20,000cdn, i dont even think ive spent that INCLUDING installation AND paint... :shrug:
and i've got tonnes more work done than you, and i still dont consider my car is 'sponsorship worthy'

-never-the-less... a key point however, as you mentioned, is that you are in a location where modified cars, and cougars are very rare, and the stores are juuuuust starting to realize that getting their names one cars is great advertising.

I believe last time there was a big sponsorship debate, it was none other than the majorly sponsored people themselves who spoke up and said that basically, it doesn't matter how much money is in your car... the sponsors look at the PERSON they have to deal with more than the car.
Its basically a job interview from what i was able to understand. I'm going to search for that last debate as it was pretty helpful, it certianly turned my whole understanding of sponsorships completely around :) - if i can find the link, i'll post it here for ya to check out.

edit - found it :) http://www.fastcougar.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=3&threadid=79594&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

its kinda cool to look back on it, and see how wrong and retarded i was thinking. :tongue:

·
Registered
274 Posts
actually i have been talking to the guys on this website, they help you get to the right level, and help you right the proper presentation and such, it is run by some of the indusrty giants,adn they have a pull of 97 companies that are looking at all the listed cars daily. sponsor website they have answered all my questions, and i have talekd to people who have gotten sponsorshirs through them, so they seem to be legit. craig leiberman(of fast and furious fame) and some of the major editors of some of the bigger amgazines came up with this site.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, after thinking about it, I decided to do a rough estimate of how much I've spent on the car so far. I'm not one for posting how much I paid for each thing, so I won't... but I seeing as the topic was brought up by me, I will finish it. The grand total was $12459.99. Not $20,000 so I guess I was doing the math in my head wrong. But that doesn't really matter anyways... around here, my car is considered heavily modified (really) even though compared to cars here, I know mine is only average. But I still think she's hot ;)

Thanks Thundercat... thats a really good site, I'll have to spent some time there.

And thank you ND4SPD.. that was also a good link with great info.

ZexCoug... $20,000 CAD is actually $15,102.22 USD :p But you were close.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
ahhhhh yes, THERE we go - i can see the $12k :)
heh, i was just like "geezus... i've got more stuff done to my car, and i dont THINK i've spent $20,000cdn" almost made my heart stop thinking that you did.

and ya - thats what i thought too... because on this board, cars all over north america are compared to each other, yours doesn't seem heavily modded. but given your location, you are probably one of the few modded cars to begin with! :thumbsup:

you're welcome for the link... i thought you might find it informative, and same to anyone else seeking sponsorship.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts