New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you go about getting sponsored? Do you need mods up the ying yang? or can you get sponsored with little or no mods for representation in an area with none? would be nice to save large ca$h:confused:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Have alot of mods, Win shows, Goto alot of shows so u have something to offer to a company. If a company puts money into your car they want something out of it they want u to basically advertise their company. And doing this buy going to alot of shows in differnt areas and being able to stand out.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Depends on the type of sponsorship you want...
-Most large named companies have their own employees drive the "sponsor car". Other are looking for everyday people. All you need to do is apply. Send a resume and profile about your present and past cars. Tell them about your plans, your accomplishments, and why they should choose you. Call their headquarters, and find out if you can meet in person with a regional manager in your area. If they like you, most likely, they will give you parts at a great discount or for free, but you are usually required to attend specific shows, and a certain number of shows per year. And if you do bad, because of you, they will drop you and ask for their parts back. Some companies will let you keep them.
-Become a guniea pig. If you notice there aren't many companies making parts for the 2.5L duratec yet. And it's been around for about 6 yrs now. Contact companies that make products for cars. And offer to let them use your car as a tester car. I've known people to get completely free turbo or SC kits. You save them $20,000 from bying a new car, so the least they can do is give you a free $3000 kit that only really costs $1500. I personally got great discounts on my previous car for letting a company do work on my Probe. It was well worth it, but I have to warn you. Your car may have problems as time goes on since you are like the prototype, and all prototypes have bugs.
-Instead of going to a manufacturer, go to a licensed reseller of many companies parts. Many of them want their names spread around, so if you put their custom graphics on your car and attend one show, or race, or whatever, they'll cut you a deal on parts they sell. Usually all you need to do is contact the owner of the store, and ask them if they are interested. Finding someone who has sponsors who can introduce you to the right people and maybe give you a recommendation, can only help.

It's not easy, and most likely 99% oif us have no chance, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Start at yout local perf. shops, and work yourself over the internet.

·
Registered
843 Posts
You dont even need to be professional, all you got to do is ask what you can do for them, and what they can do for you.
Sponsorship is not about getting free stuff, it's about being a representative for their company by advertising it with their products on your car.

I've been talking to a few companies and their sponsorships are already taken for this year, most of them at least, because during the first of the year they choose what cars they want to represent them.
I already talked to baer, bassani, injen and foila-tec by e-mail.
The only luck i might have is bassani, and their products aren't even 100 percent free. Still got to pay for installation, product and shipping, and they will reimburse later when they see you can get them coverage.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Also companies do not care about if there is noone in your area with a certain product. They want cars that are in the limelight at the major shows that magazines pick up on and cover. I have been very successful in landing sponsors this year.

I have sponsorships from the following companies

Aerogear
Andy's Autosport
Autometer
Axis Wheels
Eclipse Car Audio
Ground Control Suspension
JL Audio
Nitto Tire
Van Pelt Collision

soon will be picking up my baer brakes at a huge discount but need to pay a few things off first.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Basically the same thing craig said but you have to be prodfessional... they don't care if you are 19 or 45, you must be professional in your actions cause your car is representing their company. Daily Drivers they are even more worried about that is why they pull your driving record and ask for your insurance company information. They do call them as well.

Currently I have 4 Sponsors:

Lexani Wheels
Hose Techniques
Purvis Ford (sucks)
And Al's Garage & Body Shop

Once I have the money, I have been offered 1/2 Sponsor from Katzkin for a custom interior.

No Media Coverage to date except Newspaper feature and event coverage for Super Street. I will have a Super Street and Lowrider Feature very soon.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
that's not very nice of you to say your sponsor SUCKS...

my dad sponsors race cars, not the same thing but same general idea, he caught wind of one of his drivers bad mouthing him... when that driver needed new tires he didn't get it and sat out that week.... again even if you hate your sponsor to death, if you want to keep the free gifts under no circumstance do you bad mouth them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts