New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 with a stock rear spoiler. Today I tried to do the simple job of removing the spoiler. It seems one stud likes the lock nut more than the anchor in the spoiler.

Directly, as I try to loosen the nut, the stud spins in the spoiler instead of the nut spinning on the stud.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to remove the nut/stud and therefore the spoiler WITHOUT damaging the car or the paint? I really need to be able to get this off safely.

THanks in advance....george

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
You could try and use a pair of Vise Grips at the end of the bolt. Just be careful not to ruin any of the threads on the bolt.

Ron

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
finally got that visteon spoiler youve been looking for?

How much can you life the spoiler off the car? If you can lift it up some to expose the stud, you could try to hold the stud in place while undoing the nut, or dremel off the bad stud like Kaioshin instructed.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, I have a Roush (I sent you a pm ages ago ;) ) I took a look at the Visteons and the Roushs at CougarFest and decided I like the Roush shape a little better.

The stud lost its grip right away, so there is only about a thick paper between the deck and the spoiler. I could slide a hacksaw blade in there - if I didn't care about the paint! I think I will give it a shot with a dremel tomorrow (ty kaioshin!). I did have a little chuckle over the vise grips recommendation, though ;)

--george

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hehe, hacksaw was never an option. :rofl:

yes, I got it off. I tried a dremel but it was very difficult.

I basically put a socket on the nut, spun it at a medium-low speed, and gently pried up until the stud came out of the spoiler. It can and will be fixed.

Pics to follow on what resulted in the spoiler replacement.

---george

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is a preview...I am having battery issues with my digital camera...so this is the only pic I have right now.

The Roush Spoiler is on. The details of my little project are to see if I like a color scheme I came up with. Because the Side Skirts are Carbon Fiber wrapped, I dont really want to paint them body color - that would kinda defeat the purpose of the CF ;) So they Have to stay dark - or mostly dark. I have tried a metallic black on the front lip (see my sig). But with both I have felt that the body kit almost fades out of view. So, compromise, I have painted the lip and spoiler base colors the metallic black and the vertical part of the lip red, the vertical part of the rear spoiler is red. For the side skirts - I took a ghetto route - JUST TO SEE HOW IT LOOKS. That is red tape on there. The idea of all this is to see how I want the car to look before I take the parts off for winter and take them to a shop to have them pro-painted.

Let me know what you think.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.