New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had issues with my speedo recently. It kicked a CEL for malfunction in the VSS, I replaced it. Now I havn't been able to get my speedo to work again. All my other gauges work like they should, just not the speedo.

Now when I hook my scanner up to it, I can stream it. Showing the vehicle speed through that. So the VSS is sending signal to the PCM. From the VSS it feeds into the PCM via pin 58 on the main plug, leaving the PCM via pin 48 (white/black wire). I have signal going into the PCM, but not coming out?

More info: The cluster recieves the signal for the VS through the black plug on the back of the gauge cluster, pin 7. Also a white/black wire.

I have a total of 3 cluster's and have installed them all to make sure it wasn't the one in my car. To my amazement, none will register the speed.

My thought is to tap the wire coming off of the actual VSS and send signal directly to the cluster? And see if I can read on the cluster that way. Thoughts of doing so?

·
Administrator
24,478 Posts
I would guess that it needs the PCM in line to decode the signal.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would guess that it needs the PCM in line to decode the signal.
I didn't think about that, lol. I'd imagine that you are correct on that.

I'm going to put a multimeter on it and test that I have connectivity all the way from the PCM plug, to the plug behind the cluster. I traced the wire the whole way, and everything seems to be connected like it should be.

I just need to get some longer leads to reach.. :D

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i had this happen and what it ended up being is the wires that came out of the vss were touching each other and shorting out
That was the issue with the old one, the wires were starting to pull out of the plug and touching eachother. The new one installed fixed that issue out, before the PCM wouldn't even read a VSS. Now the PCM reads the speed.

·
Administrator
24,478 Posts
Sounds like the issue lies between the ECU and the cluster, then.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like the issue lies between the ECU and the cluster, then.
It's finding exactly where the issue is, that's kicking my rear end...lol. I was probing around it today, and with the black connector off (on the back of the cluster) and using a test light, I am getting power on a ground wire...ugh wth. Just SO happens it's the ground for the speed portion of the cluster.

Seems like something is crossed? That the ground is the power and what is suppose to be the power is a ground now?....lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm having same problem but I'm not car savy haha, my speedo went out and I replaced the speed sensor on the tranny (which it was broken and the wires was showing) anad on the testdrive the speedo wasn't orking still and my tranny went out. I replaced the tranny and put the new speed sensor and thee tranny works fine and all other gauges works sexcept the speedo and I have no engine codes or anything....I don't kno what to do now..

Sent from my DROID3 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Off topic: Goofy when your cruising around Burlington be sure to say hello to my Ex-Wife :p lol hahahaha

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Figured I swipe the dust off this thread.

Found out some interesting points about this. The instrument cluster is what is know as a HEC (hybrid electronic cluster) And the cluster recieves the speed DIRECTLY from the VSS. The three wire configuration; ground, one to PCM and one to the cluster.

See what happens when you work/look at something to long. Taking a break from it, I realized I had mis-read the schematic.

This makes it a little easier know. I'll have to check it out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
it was a bmd speedsensor once he put in a motor craft one it fixed his, mine did the same and same solution
The BWD one that advanced sells? Yep thats the one in my car. Ill get the more expensive one auto zone sells tomorrow and let you all know what happens

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's finding exactly where the issue is, that's kicking my rear end...lol. I was probing around it today, and with the black connector off (on the back of the cluster) and using a test light, I am getting power on a ground wire...ugh wth. Just SO happens it's the ground for the speed portion of the cluster.

Seems like something is crossed? That the ground is the power and what is suppose to be the power is a ground now?....lol
Did you ever figure out why the ground had power ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts