New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know the law or know where i can look for info about this. I received 2 tickets coming home... one in tenn and one in del. does anyone know if those points transfer back to NJ? do you know where i can find that info out at? i tried the DMV sites but no luck. thanks if anyone can help.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I thought the points stay with the state that your license was issued in.

Mike

·
Registered
220 Posts
My car is actually registered and insured in Illinois because thats where my dad and stepmom are. I received a speeding ticket back in May, and told my parents about it. They were anxious that their insurance was going to go up, but it didnt. Not sure about the license thing, but your insurance shouldnt budge since you got the points out of NJ (the state your car is insured). That was the same thing for me. I got the ticket out of IL.

Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
549 Posts
k im pretty sure that only 2 points transfer into NJ... its different for every state- but it doesnt matter the state you get the ticket in, it depends on where you live- and i think up to 2 points can transfer into NJ- i hope that helps!

bc when i got my ticket on the way down to cougarfest.. i dont know how many points it is ( but my mom said only 2 would transfer in even if it was more)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks a lot people.... i did finally get a contact person in DMV and this is what i found out. no matter what state you were in if you get a ticket that involves points then only 2 points transfer to NJ. you could get a 10 point ticket but only 2 will transfer..... so i have 2 tickets 2 different states.... that means i will have 4 points.... i think since delware is closer i will go fight that one, who cares about the 4 pointer in tenn..... i will just do a 8 hour driving class and have 2 points reduced...that way it would be like i never got any.

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
It does depend on the ticket issuing state sometimes. Some may or may not have a reciprocal agreement with your state, in other words wether or not they report the ticket back home. I'd call the Number on the ticket and ask the issuing state agency and check.

·
Registered
369 Posts
You would surprised to know that NJ accepts tickets from every state! If you get a ticket in the tri-state area (NY/NJ/CT) full points are assesed. If not, then 2 points PER OFFENSE is assesed. I have first hand knowledge as I have, ahem, a number of speeding tickets.

NJ - 4x
NY - 3x
PA - 1x
RI - 1x
OH - 1x
TN - 1x (huge)

G

·
Now which one of those was where a total of EIGHT (IIRC) cars were pulled over....?!?!? That was a funny story....:evil:

btw, I still owe you a ride.....wont' forget that......

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah my TN was a hugh one too.... 95 in 70.... and the other is from maryland 83 in 65. so i am thinking to do this.... when i spoke with DMV they said that 4 + points will come back as 2 and a 2 point ticket will not come back. so i think the 14 mph over is a 2 pointer i will let that go and have no points. the tn one is going to be a 4 point ticket.... so 2 points will come back... take those 2 and do a driving class for 8 hours and have 2 points knocked off.... this way i come out with no points. but i will take your advice and call the states and ask if they report the tickets.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts