I just bought a spectre engine dress up kit that is composed of Magnabraid sleeving (for the vacuum lines, fuel lines, heater hoses, and Upper Radiator hose). I was wondering if anyone had a how to on puting this on.
You can buy the stainless steel braided hose kit at just about any auto parts store. (I've even seen it at Pep Boys!) The most popular one is made by Spectre. It is fairly simple to install. What you do is:
1. REMOVE any of the hoses you wish to cover with the stainless steel braiding, or at least one end of them.
2. Measure out the braiding in the appropriate size. (For example, if you're covering 10mm hose, use the 10mm braiding!)
3. CAREFULLY slide the braiding OVER the existing hose.
4. Use masking tape or electrical tape to WRAP the ends of the braided hose together while you are working with it. (If you don't, the braiding will fray and you will be SOL!)
5. Use the supplied hose-end fittings (basically glorified hose clamps) to secure the ends of the hose.
6. Repeat this process untill all the hoses you wish to cover are done!
If you have further questions, or are in need of more detailed instructions, please PM me or post on here!
Also as a tip, run a ball point pen or anything about that size with a rounded end through the hose before
trying to install. You need to do this to get the braiding to expand, you can't just slide it on. C2nZX3 and I used
the Spectre kit on our cars and if we hadn't figured out using a pen to open up the braid we would have
taken it back, because we never would have been able to put it on otherwise.
A forum community dedicated to New Edge Mercury Cougar owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about troubleshooting, builds, ZETEC, maintenance, performance, modifications, classifieds, and more!