New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I am the current owner of a 1993 PGT, I am looking to buy a Cougar with a V6/ MTX. I am not sure of the specs on the cougar though and would like some information.

1st off- Traction Controll- Explain it to me.

2- rumor or fact- #6 can overheat in high banking?
3- HP?-/[email protected] RPM?
[email protected] In 5th
5-Top Speed? Is it computer limited? IF so is there a chip to be purchased?
6-Turbo/Supercharger Availability.
7-Weight reductions?

I love the cougar it has pretty good lines. I see the XR? has a different hood.
I plan on running the car pretty much on a daily basis and running it harder on the weekends in the brackets.
My PGT 2nd Gen will be for sale soon on www.probetalk.com if anyone is interested in one.
Other than that any and i mean ANY useful information, or even useless information is fully welcome as i like to reasearch before i purchase. My main reason for wanting the cougar is the fact that it is a 3 dr, and you can get a V6 Manual, NO ONE else is making that @ an affordable price. Anyway thanks!;)

·
Premium Member
8,094 Posts
1 - if the front wheels slip on takeoff the computer will retard ignition to stop the wheels from spinning.
2 - fact, but moreso on SVT engines than non-svt. sweeping right turns can cause oil starvation.
3 - 170/165
4 - 3700-4000 or so
5 - 142 with sports package, not computer limited. 115 without sports package, computer limited
6 - yes but expensive
7 - yes, start tearing stuff out :)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
4. for my dads cougar is 3500rpm. My zetec does it at like 3300

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
You are going from a Probe to a Cougar? You must be a glutton for punishment.

Not for anything, but you really need to think about this one some more. There is a reason the Cougar is "affordable"...and it's the same reason the Probe is "affordable". They are cheaply made PsOS. Both platforms are dead, and the prices of parts is going through the roof. Have you priced parts for your own car lately? Insane, right. Well the Cougar is quickly heading down that road.

You want my advice, if you like Ford, and want an affordable MTX...get a Focus. You can power them past either the PGT or Cougar V6, and parts are cheap...as well as having a HUGE aftermarket.

That's just my opinion though. :)

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
Actually, the cougar was built much sturdier than the probes. I loved my probe but it was so cheaply made. I basically made the same decision as you. It was pretty much as close to buying another probe as I could come, though they're nothing alike. If i really had another shot at it I'd think about the Tiburon Gt or maybe even the Mazda6s, but than again i'd prolly still stick with the coug. Cept get it right and find an actual 35th with leather, and a sunroof, and oh yeah, a manual. :banghead:

·
Administrator
24,500 Posts
The XR has the same hood, with a non-functionsl, cosmetic scoop. All special editions had this scoop: the XR, the C2, the ZN, the 35th ann. These are all just trim packages. The only difference is cosmetic. The Sport package is what you need. Better brakes and rims, and no speed limiter.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
The C2 has no scoop?? Mine doesn't anyway.

The cougar is a SOLID car, it is just thick and plush, I love it. My sisters saturn feels paper thing and plasticy.

As opposed to fetts thinking, I think the cougars parts are going to be dropping in price and exploding the next couple of years. These things are ROLLING off the used car lots.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't like the focuz @ all really, that's just my opinion, like i said i want a v6 Manual. The focus is just to...well, i just think it's down right ugly, what good is going fast if you can't look good doing it? That and EVERY focus i have seen (in person that is) has been RICE. And that is no WHALE of a TAIL, like the ones i have seen. Anyway, how can you tell the difference between the sports package and the non? Again that's all i have come up w/ as of yet for questions, i am sure i will have more. Oh btw don't recomend honda PLZ!! Not really a honda fan either. Just a Ford guy. And yes i do know the PGT 2nd Gen was a Mazda, so of course, i am in favor of Mazda too! ;) thanks for the replies keep them coming please!!!

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
#1. Traction control, actually works in two ways depending on speed etc.
a. retards fuel
b. applies brakes to slipping wheel to help transfer the power to the other wheel.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
I'm a ford guy too, but still. The tibby's have really grown on me. Have you seen some of the things you can do with those? but again, more people have em than cougars so if your wanting the uniqueness, such as the pgt. You'd be better with the coug, but it is a discontinued car also. So, i still say the mazda6s is awesome. The svt focus's are cool but still ugly, no matter what you do. Saw one with a cf hood and it looked gay, i never noticed how tiny their hoods are.

·
is a pop sensation
13,668 Posts
To expand on what ov3n said

HP - 170 @ 6250
TQ - 165 @ 4250

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
How about a Mustang? If you go with the Foxbody, you can have a choice of going balls with the 302, or quickness with a turbo 4banger.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
a fox body If he thinks the focus is ugly then.... that mustang fell down the ugly tree and hit every branch.:shrug:

In regards to weight reduction. Doing the same Weight reduction priocess I have performed you could nail about 400 lbs off an XR.

I posted here in 2.5 performance a while back. If you search you should find it listed under my SN

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How do you know if you have a sports package other than opening it up... I just got my V6 but im in minnesota and snow, ice and speed dont go too well together especially with the cougars winter handling.

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
nukenavy, seats will tell you... for 99-00 if you have the circular head rests you have the sports package

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what all does the sports package offer other than no govener???

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So as it seems I am about 1 cm from buying a cougar, they are pretty cool looking and unique, they have the v6 w/ 5 speed, and you can get some pretty cool mods. But where do you guys go to get your mods? what sites are you looking at like www.andysautosport.com is ok, but there has to be someone that isnt so expensive?? Yeah i know what your thinking " you get what you pay for" and i believe that too, however i also believe in stretching each and every dollar as far as possible, maybe that's cuz i am on a really limitied budget. And after reading about the Trac Control, i have decided it's not that big of a deal, as i wont be driving it in the winter, i would rather get a limited slip Diffy. Anyway let me know about all the Sites, shoot me some links, gimmie some help! I am currently interested in performance parts not cosmetics so the performance sites would be better thanks! YOU GUYS ROCK! :)

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts