New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a Fidanza flywheel from before. I burnt the old clutch, so I had the flywheel resurfaced.

I just installed it all in, put the flywheel on, torqued it down. Cleaned all the surfaces real well, put the clutch disc in, put the pressure plate on, torqued it all down.

I can still spin the clutch disc freely, quite easily for that matter. There's about 50 thousands of an inch clearance between teh clutch disc and the pressure plate.

Is this normal? Do I need to go out and buy a new flywheel?

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
I have an SVT flywheel here if you want....take it to a machine shop and for $20 you would have a lightened SVT flywheel. Lemmie know, I'll sell it to you for $40.

it's dirty, but here are some pics...great spare for you if you want :)

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
So I have a Fidanza flywheel from before. I burnt the old clutch, so I had the flywheel resurfaced.

I just installed it all in, put the flywheel on, torqued it down. Cleaned all the surfaces real well, put the clutch disc in, put the pressure plate on, torqued it all down.

I can still spin the clutch disc freely, quite easily for that matter. There's about 50 thousands of an inch clearance between teh clutch disc and the pressure plate.

Is this normal? Do I need to go out and buy a new flywheel?
Sounds like they took too much off of the Fidanza... which is odd, because my 2 fidanzas, have a removable friction disc that can be replaced when you change your clutch out.... so there would be No need for resurfacing, just bolt on a NEW surface!!! :biggrin:

BTW...ultrarev.com has the Fidanza replacement friction discs for the flywheels for about $55.00...

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
The shop that you took it to needs to realize that we have a STEPPED flywheel design- Meaning when you resurface the friction surface, you also need to machine down the pressure plate mounting ridge (the raised outer ring of the flywheel) to match! There's no getting away with just machining one surface. Probably why Fidanza just sells a new friction plate for you to bolt on- Prevents having to machine aluminum and possible comprimising the threads.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
as Dan said, resurfacing our flywheels requires two passes due to its stepped design. cost estimates take that into account along with the number of dowels (there are three). i hope your shop didn't remove too much metal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts