New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone. im looking at getting new components and want to get something with lots of bass. im trying to avoid buying a sub set up. any suggestions of some speakers with low end?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just picked up a set of Rainbow CMX components. My entire system goes in this weekend, I cant wait. Three months with no stereo is killing me.

Ultimately, the low end of any speaker you put in there is going to be dictated by how well sealed and deadened the door is.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
as dalaster said, components are best running your higher end of the spectrum... if you want more bass you could put some mid base drivers into the doors, or, just break down and run a single sub setup... your choice, but the lower the freq. you run through your components, the higher the probability of them failing prematurely...

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
If you are expecting to get good "low end bass" out of components, it is just not going to happen, unless you spend $$$$. Even then, a decent sub/amp setup will blow the high-end component setup out of the water.

Components = mids/highs
Sub = low end.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
what they said.
Now what is your reason for wanting to stay away from a sub.
Cost?
space?
Weight?
combo of the 3

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright, i get what your saying. yea its pretty much weight and space. mostly space because im in a band and need as much space as the cougar can give me to fit all of my equipment and i think a sub would just get in the way

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
well thats simple, remove your spare tire make a false floor and mount a sub there... making the box is a pita, but their are many on here whom have done it I'm sure someone could guide you through it or give you pointers... :shrug:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I've got a 12" sub in the Cougar. There is PLENTY of room even with the sub. I can easily fit two hockey bags in there. If I need more room, it takes 2 seconds to unhook the sub and leave it in the garage. :thumbsup:

·
8,582 Posts
Mount it like mine:

Like you, I didn't want to lose the space, but I've never missed that little section there.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
I agree with Skater, thats a good spot to give up and still retain functionality of the entire cargo area and also have a spare... oh and bazooka tube FTL! lol dont do it! just say no! haha unless you really want the NAAAAAAWZZZ!!! :rofl:

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Mount it like mine:

Like you, I didn't want to lose the space, but I've never missed that little section there.
I was going to say either do this or I have an idea rolling around it my head for an 8" sub

Basically building the 8" into the hatch cover piece. not the hatch itself but the cover the closes off the trunk from the rest of the car with the hatch closed.

Basically the idea I had was built that piece into a box you can run the speaker wire over to the side of the car and hook them up with some quick disconnects. Mount the amp under the in a place that woud be good for you. I really want to do this but I already have a 12 and like my set up.

·
8,582 Posts
Basically building the 8" into the hatch cover piece. not the hatch itself but the cover the closes off the trunk from the rest of the car with the hatch closed.
You need a free-air sub to do that. However, even free-air subs should have an enclosed space, and the hatch cover is nowhere near air-tight, so I don't think you'd be happy with the results.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
no I dont think you under stand what I was getting at. I am talking about making the thing into an encloser. takeing the under side and makeing it into a sealed box with fiberglass and fleece.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
the only problem with that is the platform you speak of is strong, but isnt designed for any significant load bearing, not to mention the problem of reinforcing the mounting points (since it just slides in) so that in a crash your pretty new sub setup isn't going to catapult forward and break your neck lol... not really worth all the effort if you ask me... not to mention, subs in the cougar do well because the sound has a chance to reverberate off the trunk area, travel up the hatch effectively giving you more sound than you actually have. I know of a few people who have components mounted there, and I personally don't like the sound or the look, but thats just my $.02

·
Registered
837 Posts
alright, i get what your saying. yea its pretty much weight and space. mostly space because im in a band and need as much space as the cougar can give me to fit all of my equipment and i think a sub would just get in the way
There are a few people from the boards here that have had good luck with the infinity basslink's. A thread about it was around here sometime this year. Small footprint,and an all in one design. I had a version 1 in my truck and it didn't take up too much space and still gave me the bass my speakers were lacking. They aren't that bad priced too considering its a sub,box, and amp all in one. (~$180 for the Basslink ~$240 for the basslink II)
My .02¢ is its worth the price for the size(but I haven't had one in the cougar though)

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
If you're looking for just a bit of low-end, not real deep bass then components will be fine. Just choose a high-end set of 3-way components and set them up properly and it'll be plenty. MB Quart Reference series are excellent for low-end response, and with the size of the speakers in the Cougar you actually get rather nice response. (I'm not running any subs in my Cougar, and its still enjoyable for me, and this is after running with 12" HCCA subs in the Yukon all the time.)

If you do decide to go with a sub I'd highly recommend Skaters setup -- just make sure you don't use too little airspace. Measure the area, determine max airspace, then buy the speaker based upon that. Don't try and cram a speaker into a little space, thinking it'll be ok. Some subs require upwards of 2 or 3 cuft of airspace, you won't want that if you want to retain the hatch usability.

E1

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.