New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has 57,000 miles on it and the plugs or wires have never been changed. I want to get this out of the way before winter. What do you all think of the Ford Racing wires and Bosch plugs from SPMotorsports? Or if anyone can tell me what the best plugs/wires are for the Cougar? Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
never ever ever buy bosche plugs, stick with motorcraft double platinums

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
or auto-lite double plat's same plug..same company really.

Oh and your best off using the ford racing wires as well...I'll be doing the exact same thing this weekend along with a new gatorback belt.

·
Registered
25 Posts
the best spark plug wires are the magnecor competition 8.5mm than ford racing 9mm. the magnecor wires has more spark delivery than ford wires even when they are 8.5mm, and resist until 600F, all this because your quality and materials. just wonder the price difference.

when i bought the jacobs ignition system,they said after several tests the found magnecor 8.5mm gives more performance than 9mm wires,in v6 motors. because it has low resistance and can handle higher voltage.

·
is a pop sensation
13,668 Posts
However, the Mangnacores are twice the price of the Ford Racing wires, and the performance difference is negligible. Go with the Ford Racing and Motorcraft/Autolite double plats.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
hence why I said ford wires and autolites...thanks sonza

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Since the factory recommended "tune-up" (meaning plug change, etc.) interval is 100K (and we HAVE platinum plugs ALREADY), does ANYONE think it would make any difference to change plugs at only 56K?
(Just curious myself since that's where I'm at in terms of mileage & I'm already installing new 9mm Ford plug wires.)
~CIII

·
Registered
593 Posts
I don't think they can really go 100k miles ... I've been getting mine changed every 30k miles.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Originally posted by: viper
the best spark plug wires are the magnecor competition 8.5mm than ford racing 9mm. the magnecor wires has more spark delivery than ford wires even when they are 8.5mm, and resist until 600F, all this because your quality and materials. just wonder the price difference.

when i bought the jacobs ignition system,they said after several tests the found magnecor 8.5mm gives more performance than 9mm wires,in v6 motors. because it has low resistance and can handle higher voltage.
First of all, in high-speed low current electrical work, the low resistance of the center conductor is not an important factor. The insulation on the wire determines the ability to carry high voltages. Second, high voltage at high speed.. ah la your ignition pulse.. is carried on the outside of the center conductor (so called "skin effect" )and a few milli-ohms of resistance doesn't make a hill of beans difference..

Save your money and get the excellent ford racing wire sets, if they fit your car. :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by: cwtIII
Since the factory recommended "tune-up" (meaning plug change, etc.) interval is 100K (and we HAVE platinum plugs ALREADY), does ANYONE think it would make any difference to change plugs at only 56K?
(Just curious myself since that's where I'm at in terms of mileage & I'm already installing new 9mm Ford plug wires.)
~CIII
did you ever look at your factor platinum plugs? This is what they look like after 57,000 miles

The terminals were almost gone and the gap was much larger than .054. Sure your car will run, but not as efficient as it could be. I went with the Autolites. Still haven't gotten the wires yet tho.

Mike

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
holy crap...thats really bad!!

I just ordered my wires from CTA a couple days ago and I already have the plugs waiting. I'll be installing the gatorback belt as well, which will eliminate the damn 1st>2nd squeek and 2nd>3rd squeek.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
ohmy... i guess i get new plugs and wires soon i am at 70k with stockers all this talk makes me want to make my baby happy and get her some new sparkers

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've got a friend of mine that says that going with the double plats is insane (http://www.racerx.ws), but I have a tendency to go with those who have more experience with the duratec engine (this guy's got more money than he knows what to do with...he's already blown 2 engines trying to get the super charger working right...i blame it on his mechanic).

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Tell your friend hes got a nice NISSAN SKYLINE

augh i hate it when people do that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts