New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gutted my precats the other day and installed my trubendz y-pipe...I was just wondering what it's supposed to sound like, cuz for some reason, to me anyway, it just doesn't sound right. I've gotten compliments on it, saying it sounds meaner than a V8....it almost sounds like a toned down version of revving it with the exaust system disconnected. There's no leaks, although I am concerned that if you look at the connection from the y-pipe to the muffler, that it's not straight...like from a side view, the y-pipe seems to be a bit lower than the muffler pipe. Anyone have any sound clips or can explain what it sounds like? I also have duals w/ borla muffler & AEM intake. thanks
Mike

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
i havent gutted my precats, but theres a medium quality clip of my car launching somewhere in vids/pics. I have dynomax duals with the Brullen Y & hi-flow cat

*I* think my car sounds pretty 'gnarly' as it is. Do you have a digital camera w/ video capability? if so you should upload us somethin :)

my clip is here, if you want: http://www.recordedmemory.com/cougar/culdesac.mov right click save as

edit: just thinking... maybe when one guts their precats the cats' bodies resonate the exhaust sound, I imagine theyre pretty thin and youve literally pulled out anything that would deaden the sound. I know my headers on my MGB are loud, and i also know theyre not leaking. theres just more engine compartment noise.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
When i gutted my precats, i didnt notice much difference in sound right away. But it did get a bit louder to me as time went on. My car has been sitting for like 2 weeks now, and when i drove it last night, its getting a little too loud for me.

·
Registered
587 Posts
search for my dyno video from cougarfest. I have gutted precats and a no cat y-pipe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts