New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how i can hook up the tv to the sound system in my car to where i can have audio coming from my 5" color lcd screen????

·
Registered
865 Posts
damn, you must feel like people are trying to be the sound nazi with you
"NO SOUND FOR YOU! INSTALL, TWO MONTHS!"
but my guess since I'm not a car sound person yetwould be re-routing the sound out cables to something that hooks up to the stereo, a switchbox or something.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hrm... i'll jump in here real quick and see if i can answer your question... maybe...

well... first off... i'm assuming you have a 5" lcd installed somewhere in your car?? and then you have the vhf/uhv tv tuner mounted somewhere in your car also, which should be hooked up to your lcd to play video... is this correct??

IF SO... then, on the tuner, you're gonna have two RCA outputs for the sound from the vhf/uhf tuner... one for left channel, one for right channel... so here's where the tricky part is...

Do you have your factory radio still in the dash, or are you operating with an aftermarket headunit? If you're working with the factory radio, good luck! About the only option you've got there is to pick up a little RF unit made by sony (retails for like $299 last time I checked) that will accept a set of RCA inputs for any audio source and play audio over an unused FM channel on your radio... that's a LOT of money to spend on a little piece of equip, and the quality is gonna be really really ****ty.

But, since you've got an LCD installed, i'm gonna assume you've got a fairly new, decent aftermarket headunit installed. Now you've got a different option for each brand. Most brand headunits come with the capibility of an AUX input for sound. Some units, such as Sony, already have RCA input wires coming out of the back of the unit. All you'd have to do is buy a little $99 piece that plugs in the back to give you the AUX input option. Other companies, such as Kenwood, Pioneer, and JVC, give you the option of buying a piece that connects to the CD changer input and allows for the use of the AUX funtion, and allows for a set of RCAs to be inputed. They range from $35-$150, depending on brand and number of features, etc.

Your best bet is to check the website of whatever brand of headunit you have, and see if they offer an RCA Auxillary input for your receiver. If not, you're either gonna have to buy that Sony RF unit or buy a new reciever, and for $299, I'd go with choice #2...

Any more questions, feel free to PM me...

EDIT: While I was thinking about making everything look all nice and clean, I forgot one of your options... the rice look. LOL. If you've got the factory radio in place, or your aftermarket headunit has a tape player in it, you can pick up one of those fancy little tape adapters for portable cd players (does anyone own one of these anymore!?!?!) and then, from the 1/8" headphone connector, attach a male/female 1/8" headphone jack gender changer, then attach a 1/8" male to RCA L-R Y-wire, then connect the RCA out from your vhf/uhf receiver to the RCA L-R Y-wire connector... then for TV sound, just pop the tape adapter in the tape player and voila! sound! hehehe

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I still in school working on my Masters in Business.....but I would go with the RF Modulator----then use the couple of hundred that you saved and hit the bars tonight!!!!!

-dreText

1 - 5 of 5 Posts