New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My exhaust is starting to annoy me. I like the sound alot, I just don't like it inside the car! Long trips are pretty annoying... If I use dyna mat or some type of sound deadening material, will it kill the exhaust sound in the car? If so, what are the "must hit" areas that will lessen the exhaust sounds.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well yeah, some higher RPMs and there are times with an automatic where you have an exhaust drone that is annoying.

N

·
0 Posts
you can dynamat your entire car, floorboards and hatch area. that should take care of the harsh sounds you may be getting from resonance. but thats going to make your car heavier.

but if you werent really willing to do that I would place the dynamat near on your trunk floor, even through the tire well. I would also place some near where the muffler is located. Mine is located near where the stock resonator went so , somewhere under my console area. That may help. But the thing is dynamat doesnt filter sounds. It deadens by means of adding mass (weight), so you may not hear a difference unless the whole car was matted.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
understandable. Anybody dynamat the entire floor of the car and have any feedback?

·
Registered
91 Posts
there's a company local to me that sells a foam type material that might work better...it's mostly designed for SQ.

·
Registered
517 Posts
" That may help. But the thing is dynamat doesnt filter sounds. It deadens by means of adding mass (weight), so you may not hear a difference unless the whole car was matted. "
---what???????????? you dont need to dynamat the entire car to get great results. by doing key areas you can achieve excellant results. if the exaust is what is killing you then you can use a couple different products.
1- dynamat extreme. get a couple door kits or even a bulk pack and do under the back seat, the rear strut towers, behind the rear trunk pannels, and under the spare tire.
2- use some extreme behind the trunk pannels, and use dynamat extreme liner under rear seat and under spare tire. the extreme liner is a great material and will make a huge difference, and its non adhesive so you can remove it later if you wanted.
3- this may sound crazy, but look into owens corning style 705 material. its a 2" thick compressed fiberglass that most use in home recording studios. use underneeth the trunk mat and behind stock trunk pannels. you can try it under the seat but its gonna be a bit tricky since the material is semi rigid. the 705 is a low frequency sound absorber, and it will do wonders to kill exhaust notes. very lightweight, and cheep if you can find someone who sells it by the sheet instead of by the carton.
josh

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I did the entire floor and hatch, and some on the doors...All extreme now, but the car is starting to have the panels rattle anyways, and the weight issue didnt help either. So the 705 would definatly be a better approach to different materials. Also some cotton stuffing inside the rear trunk inner walls helps. And yet some more ish, get a roll of felt that has one side with tape, use that to line places where plastic panels meet. Im now having to line everything to get a perfect silence. Still not going to happen because of the good old quality Ford rattle.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Originally posted by: DNNYBOY33
My exhaust is starting to annoy me. I like the sound alot, I just don't like it inside the car! Long trips are pretty annoying... If I use dyna mat or some type of sound deadening material, will it kill the exhaust sound in the car? If so, what are the "must hit" areas that will lessen the exhaust sounds.
All I've ever been told is that the Borla duals were nice and quite until you romp it. How could yours be so loud and droney???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts