New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the other day I decided to replace my main Injen piping with a larger diameter short ram pipe, so I hit up ebay and picked up an SVT Contour short ram. This company sent me everything! I mean everything! Even a MAF adaptor that matched the quality of the Injen if not better. However there was one major difference, the piping actually matched the diameter of the SVT Throttle Body, which makes sense since after all the short ram is designed for the SVT Tour. I also purchased a KKM intake which came with a fairly large MAF adaptor. After some modification and making the holes bigger to fit the bolts up to the MAF I had completed the install. An eyeball look down the intake pipe shows a perfect match from the filter size to the throttle body. I reset the ECU and decide to go for a brisk drive, and WOW what a difference it made, seriously. The car seemed to wake up a lot more on low end, and throttle response was greatly improved, and I notice more pull on top end, especially in second. Quite honestly, this custom built short ram felt a lot better than my CAI. I havent hit the dyno, but I really dont plan on it, but I do plan on hitting the track soon to see if any improved times come up.

Cliff Notes: For those that have an SVT TB and piping that doesnt match the diameter, I highly reccommended matching up the sizes. Huge improvement on low and top end. A lot of short rams and CAIs I have seen, have at least one section of piping that doesnt quite match up to the rest, which I think may be hurting performance. All of this is speculation and theory but it seems to hold true on the butt dyno.

If any of you all are interested in purchasing the short Ram I did, PM me for the contact info and for the ebay link. The short ram can be bought for 35 dollars which includes a MAF that will fit.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Yeah, when we were at Fest I was looking at you CAI and noticed the piping was only 2.5'', I thought this was strange since you have a max EH UIM. My CC CAI came With all 3'' piping(made me happy), I also bought a MAF adapter from an SVT Contour.

What size is the piping on your short ram?

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
It doesn't surprise me at all. Changing the size of the intake tract 400 times causes excess turbulence, which leads to a reduction in power. Of course, a little turbulence is necessary for optimal air/fuel mixing...

-Nick

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
i told you would like the upgrade to 3"

now try and see if how a 3" cai pipe does for a upgrade on those hot ATL nights.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
So was the maf that came w/ the kit 3" along as well? it doesn't seem so, just checking. I noticed this when i put my svt tb on.. it was a pita to put that silicon connector on.. and then i laughed, my little brother was like "the piping is a lot smaller then the tb..."

·
Premium Member
16,842 Posts
Originally posted by: ilovemycar
man jorje you look really fat on your fender...
didn't you know? Fenders add 20lbs :tongue:

:cover:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Interesting stuff. Im 99% sure the AEM comes with a 3inch, but Ill have to check that when the car gets back from the bodyshop.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
the aem does come with a 3" tb pipe

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Ebay Link

This is who Nemesis linked me to. Frankly I was not very impress. Yes the pipe is larger then most others, but the metal they used was pretty thin and the edge on one mine was flattened a little. The MAF adaptor is cheap plastic, and the kit is missing a coupler. It only included one coupler, which if you look at the photo that is all it shows(they don't include a coupler for the maf). I never bothered to contact them as I had couplers from my other short ram, and this was only suppose to be extremely temporary, but GMK is taking forever with my CAI.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Oh, George, nm on my PM, I already have the Aussie intake pipe. Im the dude that bought a CAI and couldnt figure out how to install it on that intake because of the sizing or something like 2 years ago lol. Ive had this setup for a while but never knew there was a differentce, or atleast never paid attention to it once I installed it.
Thanks thought!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.