New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, last time I mentioned I have troubles w/ shifting into 3rd from 2nd gear, because it grinds...well, I found out that the tranny grinds only when I shift into third from 2nd or from 4th, but the rpms have to be about 3500 for the grinding noise to occur. Is one of my synchros going bad or something?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Sorry if I misinformed you or something Brandon. I am in the process of buying a new tranny from a boneyard becasue I have done the MTX fluid cocktail and also had a service tech friend of mine add a restrictor to the vacuum line to make the motor drop RPM immediately after depressing the clutch. Those were in hopes of finding the problem I am having with the tranny. Those havent worked so we habve deduced that the synchros are bad for third gear. I have been told that it is common on the MTX75 from Ford. A bunch of my friends with SVT contours have had the same problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.