New Cougar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
24,306 Posts
Not bad. Missing some things I had grown very accustomed to using, but maybe I just need to look around more...

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I got a preview on another forum I use. I think everything is still structured basically the same, but just looks a little different.
Hopefully the change doesnt drive away any of the few regulars we do still have.

·
Administrator
24,306 Posts
OK, I've kicked it around a little, and I'm good with it. It's useable.

Mobile experience is a THOUSAND TIMES BETTER, although I'll still probably use Tapatalk.

Not crazy about the 2-factor authentication; that's kind of overkill here.

·
3,400 Posts
Having used this new layout on 3SI for about 5 months I can say that the search function is now far worse than it used to be IMO (and its the identical layout save for color on all of the forums owned by VerticalScope). There are several functions that I previously found useful but no longer exist. Like being able to go to a users profile and find all the threads started by them, which made it easy to find that one thread from years ago that you know was started by said user but can't ever remember the thread title (this was especially useful for finding threads from users with several thousand posts). Now your only option is to search for posts by that user with keywords and hope they didnt use those words in a lot of posts (or titles) as it will bring up every single post, which may mean dozens of pages of results just to find try to find that one old post. Also, the default sorting of the results is by relevance instead of date, this has led to a large number of very old threads (~10-15+ years old) being bumped by new members, often asking if a given problem was solved (hoping for a response from the OP who hasnt logged on in years) or just stating they have the same problem (at least they are searching though) . Other little things (like signature length being limited to 4 lines) are really just an annoyance (and only for those who had a long sig in the first place), but most of my complaints stem from the search function as a decent amount of my time on 3SI was spent researching (whether mods for myself or others). Unfortunately, now a lot of those older threads arent as useful as a lot of the pictures posted no longer work (not sure if it was from one external host or certain types of previous attachments or what) and are completely missing (and those hosted on photobucket might as well not work since they are almost always blurred).

That said, there are several good things that came with the change, like the drag and drop pictures for example and the basic thread functions are easier to use. I also like that the sigs and quotes are partially hidden by default (but can be expanded easily) as well. The "Conversations" (old PMs) is better as well IMO (since now its not a wall of quotes when you go back and forth more than a few times). Overall its not terrible, the mobile version is vastly improved (even from the standard mobile browser) and if the search functionality could be fixed I would say its better (unfortunately the search function is one of the more important aspects of a forum compared to Facebook). I do miss the clearly defined boarders between users posts though.

·
Administrator
281 Posts
Can I ask a huge favor of y'all? :)

Can we keep all feedback, questions, concerns, requests for help, etc.regarding the new platform in our Community Feedback thread rather than starting new threads?

The reason this is important is that we will be seeing weekly updates (approximately) that are largely fueled by community feedback. While that doesn't mean we can action every request, it does mean we are actively listening to the feedback and sharing it with the developers. By keeping all of the information in one thread, we can help make sure that we don't miss anything.

I will be closing this thread to avoid confusion but we absolutely want to hear all of the feedback, both good and bad.

We are just asking that it be posted to the community feedback thread.

- Cricket

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.