New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short update- Drove a 2002 until the bearing spun, replaced motor and instantly knew it wasnt gonna last (knocking/ticking at high rpm) and on my way back from looking at another 02 for 350 bucks (front bumper damage, airbags deployed, fuel pump issue, and sitting for over a year) the motor began the constant tapping noise, did a lucas oil quick fix and drove it gently for the next week, then one night heading home from work took the on ramp at too high of speed and sure enough the knocking began, determined to make it home i kept on until I was hammered to the floor and only going about 25 miles an hour, lucky for me at 330am not many are on the road except for the 2 police officers that stopped me just 3 exits from my home. Dumbass cop walks up and asked "whats the problem?" I said "geee i dont know officer, it sounds like i threw a rod or something" at this time the car is spewing coolant and sizzling away literally. They gave me a push and i coasted down the bottom of the off ramp, waited 30 minutes and amazingly the engine started, quickly threw it in drive and floored it, made to the top of the on ramp with the largest plume of smoke ive ever seen in my rear view, all of a sudden, the motor seized and i coasted to the next off ramp. Forward to today, salvaged all i could off the red cougar, air bags and all, and gave it away to a tow truck driver. Now driving the silver 350 dollar special, fuel pump and fuel line repaired, brake lines repaired and pads replaced, I havent touched the engine other than oil/filter change, black friday i spent 200 on a few things and craiglisted up some other needed parts, got 4 struts and mounts, 4 rotors, hubs, bearings, brakes, tie rods, ball joints, cntrl arms, sway bars, and bunch of chemical sprays. Totally geared up and ready to tear into the car and do a mild overhaul, just waited to see if i could score some headers for cheap, other wise i got the tubing to build my own(hoping to purchase on ebay but was out bid) scratch the headers for now. As things progressed I had wild fantasy that winter was going to take another couple weeks to get here, and 2 days after being out bid the snow came and went, the temps dropped to dangerous levels and here i sit with no garage and a huge stack of parts plus the svt modified parts from the red sizzler i destroyed. So my problems arent many, just the lack of shelter from the elements. All the other work ive done was done in my apartments parking lot (yes, motor swap was done there also) I know i could probably do all this work in record time since i did it all over the spring and summer this year. Would be awesome if i could find a stall to rent out for the weekend...

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
if you break up your post into paragraphs it makes it a bit easier to read just a tip. maybe someone can help

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Sometimes you can find garages for rent on craigslist

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
Man, I have no idea how people blow up these engines. I abused the bejeezus out of mine for over 200,000 miles and it was doing great when I pulled it for a 3.0. Had one loose timing chain, but didn't tick, didn't smoke, still made plenty of power. I guess people don't like getting oil changes; that's all I can figure.

Hope you can find some shelter soon, sir. Keep up the good work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts