New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for recommendations on what works well to mount a phone on the cougar. My son seems to be overly reliant on navigation and I want to securely mount his phone where its up high enough to easily see while driving etc

He is running a small form factor Iphone.

Looking to get this as a present so your help ( good recommendations) are appreciated. Ok with mounting to the dash or behind trim to assure a solid attachment if thats what it takes....

So what are you running and do you love your set up?

·
8,590 Posts
I have a recommendation for the type I would try to avoid, if possible: I've had a few suction cup mounts I stick on the dash to the right of the radio. This isn't great; they eventually fall off, and some mounts aren't expecting the suction cup to be mounted that way, so they don't have a way to tighten up that vertical direction of movement.

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
These cars have no good options. You could maybe screw something to the dash between and slightly below the center vents but it sucks to do permanent damage in support of constantly changing tech.

·
Registered
1998 V6 MTX Ebony Black Wild at Heart Trim
109 Posts
Got myself a standard cheap phone holder from amazon for like 20€ or something.
It has some adhesive on the suction cup and I just stuck it on the Instrument Cluster Cover Trim. Adjusted it so I can just stretch out my finger a bit and easily use my phone (music, maps, whatever).
So far only fell down maybe twice after it had been sitting in the summer sun to long and thats within the 1,5 years since I got it so can't really complain. Also hasn't left any stains yet.
I'll see if I find it and its available still plus a pic how I did it.

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
I had a thought this morning about pulling the "dead button" out of the four-button console and mounting a phone stalk under there. Then the button could just be re-installed when you're done with it and there would be no visible permanent damage. If you have a rear input on your head unit, you could even route a wire through there so its not dangling around the shifter and other controls.
Vehicle White Car Motor vehicle Steering part

·
Registered
109 Posts
Don't you guys have heated windshields? Because behind that is (at least over here) only a piece to hold the electrical connector and if you don't have them. I don't think there is really anything that something can be mounted to. Still even have one of those with the heated windscreen button left over......

·
Administrator
15,575 Posts
Don't you guys have heated windshields? Because behind that is (at least over here) only a piece to hold the electrical connector and if you don't have them. I don't think there is really anything that something can be mounted to. Still even have one of those with the heated windscreen button left over......
We didn't get the heated windshield option over here :cautious:

·
Super Moderator
22,354 Posts
but we have cup holders instead of pen holders, so we are better right?

that would be a good idea, and its in a decent place as well

I have a Ram Suction mount, they are very sturdy and give you a variety of positions to work with, and you can swap out the center sections to give you different lengths

·
Registered
109 Posts
We didn't get the heated windshield option over here :cautious:
actually really easy to get into your car (especially when Insurance covers Glass Damage and you work at a Dealership that can just lie and say you already had the heated one otherwise its 3K€) just the button console and a relais. Cable and Connectors are already in the car. At least over here.....

but we have cup holders instead of pen holders, so we are better right?
well on pre Facelift ones yes

anyways getting off topic
I use this one:
I don't know if they are also available in the US but I had no big problems with it.
Gonna post a pic of it later

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Getting the heated glass over here would be difficult.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Getting the heated glass over here would be difficult.
Well but especially in the Winter its absolutly worth it. Plus everyone who doesn't have it is jealous of you. Its just the cherry on top that I didn't have to pay for mine. But I think there are also heater mats that you can stick on your windscreen for sale and just connecting a plus and minus shouldn't be to hard.

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Removing the trip computer and mounting a holder in that hole might also be an option. that trip computer could easily be relocated if desired, or just live without it. It might be a little close to the steering wheel though.

·
5,321 Posts
Depending on if you need it in your sight line or not, I have one that mounts in the cup holder, expands to grip the sides of the cup holder with a vertical post, and an adjustable phone holder with spring clamp on top. Won't work on the cup spiller holder though.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Speedometer Vehicle Car Tachometer Gauge

Car Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Vehicle Personal luxury car

Thats how I did it with the one I posted the link for
(flash on makes it looks extremely dusty idk why haha)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what about this one?

Product Font Screenshot Engineering Automotive tire

This would also allow us to try a vent mount and if that did work cut up the ball mount and glue in to the button location and do what MMC757 suggested.

Thoughts?

Would be cool to figure out a robust convenient mounting scheme that does not damage the car....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok ok I'm buying this one to try...

they had me at MIL-STD and I think the vents are a good height....

Product Font Screenshot Multimedia Parallel

·
8,590 Posts
ok ok I'm buying this one to try...

they had me at MIL-STD and I think the vents are a good height....

View attachment 82223

These may not work with our vent design.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,844 Posts
These may not work with our vent design.
This exactly - 3 of my 4 cars have various weird, non-traditional vent designs so the only one that can use these kinds of things is the Focus ST.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok Merry Christmas the phone mount is in and required mods to put it on the false button location as suggested mmc757 are complete. I like how it turned out just wish that block of buttons mounted more securely to the dash ( might shim that later with a plastic shim.....
Speedometer Vehicle Gear shift Car Motor vehicle
White Audio equipment Electronic instrument Grey Musical instrument
Wood Toy Gas Metal Auto part

To repurpose the ball mount to go from a vent style to a button mount I used what had laying around to include part of a nut spring clip we cut down, some epoxy putty, and thread locker. Now my son is not going to be as distracted trying to navigate off a phone that would never stay put.....and it's in spot thats pretty easy to see....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts