New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 Cougar Special Edition is having some significant problems. It's actually my wife's car and has no mods whatsoever. The problem:

When I accelerate hard, and the engine gets to just over 4000 rpm in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, the engine starts cutting in and out, almost like a cheap rev limiter.

When the car is under the "50 Mile Warning" on gas, it starts doing this at about 3800 rpm.

Sounds like a fuel problem, and the car is at the dealership as I type this...any ideas?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with Bob.. it's gotta be your secondary set of runners.. so run it over to the dealership, and they should be able to diagnose it. Make them check that first, so they don't tell you it's like 20 different things.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hey man I got the exact same problem I'm taking mine in after work today. Mine sounds just a little better though it usually only does it when I'm low on gas. Oh well let's keep each other posted. Later Patrick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine is in the shop right now. A buddy of mine who races Eclipses said it might have something to do with the pickup in the fuel tank. It might be bent or something and when the fuel rocks to the back of the tank, it can't get fuel.

·
Registered
591 Posts
It might be that...but to be on the safe side, check the secondaries. These are the runners that should open up at about 4K RPM, and a lot of cougars were having trouble opening these up (bad control box from what I've seen). There actually should be a surge of power at 4K...but if you felt a surge of power occasionally, then it might just be a fuel delivery problem. Let us know man!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am having the same problem....again. The first time it was a bad fuel pump and it was good for about 10K and now it is back again. I still think it is the fuel pump but hey if its something else let me know because I would like mine to get fixed right.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<< Yes, it sounds like the secondaries!! They need to check those over and I bet they will find the problem! Austin Texas? >>

Yeah, Bob, Austin, Texas...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, just got a call back from the dealer. Looks like a bum fuel pump. That's what they replaced. Now I have to wait on a new horn because the keyless entry locking feature hasn't been honking the horn when locking. It makes a weird noise behind the passenger door. Should be in tomorrow.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah.. when I push my lock button it just flashes the lights.. but let me tell you.. when that thing starts going.. lights a flashing, horns are beeping.. that thing works!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine does you just have to hit it twice, its kind of like a confirmation beep.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I got the 2000, and it makes a "God Awful" noise when you hit it twice...

I hope we don't have to replace the fuel pump again at 10K miles...I'd tear some ass...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the car back. Runs like a champ with the new fuel pump, and they fixed the alarm horn. I didn't realize that it was a different horn from the horn under the hood. Sounds like a golf cart horn...

Thanks for y'all's help!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.