New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are two holes on each side of the deck, you need the Ford removal tool. It basically looks like two metal Us, you stick one in each side, they will click into place, then pull the apart and pull the deck out using the Us as handles.

You can get the removal tool at Circuit City, or any other install shop. Some people said you can use a coat hanger, but I could never get that to work.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've used 4 nails on ford radios before.

it just releases the locks/clips on the radio from the frame. Anything that will slide smoothly in those holes should work fine.

SLiDE

·
Registered
94 Posts
that's only if you want to do it the right way..

heh

SLiDE

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
yeah i just used two small picks to stick in the slots then put flathead screwdrivers to the top and bottom and it pulled right out

·
Registered
557 Posts
I couldn't find my remover tool so I used a coat hanger. Just curve the hanger into a U. Although I still can't get one of my homemade hanger tools out of the radio yet, I pushed the hanger in too deep. Once you hear the click noise don't go any further. When you hear it just push the tool towards the sides and pull out towards you and it should come out easy.

·
Registered
94 Posts
ok i changed my mind... buy the tools... it works a whole lot better.

they have little poiny arrow head cylindrical thingies at the ends that help grab and pull out...

Its Nifty

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
We used 4 roofing nails at the last NorCal NECO meet to pull my radio. Worked easy. Vizual's 6-disc didn't come out so easy. ;)

G

·
ok i tried 4 different coat hangers not working I tried 2 auto zones and 3 other places no of them carry it where can I buy the removal tool from ?

·
Registered
94 Posts
autozone (it surprises me that they dont have it), murrays, pepboys, any autoparts store especially the bigger chains.
try the dealership.

I tried the coat hangers too... had a horrible time and couldnt get the hangers out at one point...

good luck

·
is a pop sensation
13,668 Posts
I found mine at Sears in the car audio section. My 6-disc was a pain to get out the first time too.

G

·
Sears was the answer I got the part today, but now the F'n thing will not come out!!! I'm taking off the dash to install an Internal antenna can I get the radio out that way ?

G

·
Uh oh...I hope you didn't break anything trying to get it out. I tried the coathanger idea and had no luck. All I ended up doing was scratch the hell out of my dash. When i took it to best buy to have them remove it, the guy said NEVER do that. He said he gets people all the time coming in saying they tried getting it out with something other than the actual tools, and a lot of the time they end up breaking something inside.

If you are wise, I would go to a place and have them try it. I got it done for free since I work there, but i think it's only about 10 bucks max.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts