New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i have to ask..and hopefully it doesn`t sound so ridiculous....i really want to get a short shifter. But, can i just buy the shorter shifter or do i have to buy a whole get up...? And If i can just get the shorter shifter do i just replace it and thats it.....

I am assuming it`s not as easy as i would like it to be....

Carolyne....

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
when i used the search (function at the top right of the screen), i came up with a ton of threads about this. you may want to search for "short shifter" in title OR body and select all the folders. you may find a lot of info in the search results! :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
To answer your question, yes you can buy just the shifter. As a matter of fact, it is the only thing available to us right now. You can buy the B&M "short throw shifter", which is NOT a short throw shifter. The only difference between it and the stock one, is that it is...well, shorter. And the curve is removed.

Hopefully someone will eventually come up with a true short throw shifter. But as of now, none is available.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
AND the B&M shifter is billet aluminum, AND it comes with a billet aluminum reverse lock-out collar, AND it comes with a billet aluminum shift knob, AND it shortens the throws of our shifters (which is why it is called a short-throw shifter), AND it dramatically improves the shift feel on our cars! AND I highly recommend it! Installation IS as easy as it seems (took me about half an hour), AND it's only about $145 shipped from www.ptuning.com (with our 5% NECO club discount)!
Charles

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I know PuckPuck cut his stock shifter down, and then simply put on an after market shift knob. Momo I think, and it does the same thing as the B&M.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
PuckPuck cut his shifter down 3 times :)

he kept on wanting it shorter and shorter and shorter...

now his shifter is about half the height of the B&M.... now that's short :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok....so I went to this car shop here in Montreal....(I looked on the Ptuning website and saw that they have the shortshifter for 159$). Anyways I figured i would just go and check it out. This guy tried to sell the same model directly from B&M for 450$ with the install...ok i know this is Canadian...but that still comes out to about 290$ US. That man, he tried to rip me.....Anyways I am seriuosly thinking i should just cut it like you say.... I'm just worried imma mess something up.... But I saw the exact directs to cutting it in the archives so i'll check into that and see how it turns out.

thanks...
carolyne

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I cut mine down, there isn't a whole lot to mess up really. Just take your time and be careful!
It really helps with the shifts and I love the feel!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok one last request.....if i just cut it down can i buy any knob afterwards, since it wont be threaded?

caro

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Find someone with a Tool and Die set (rethreads the shaft). The Die you need is a 20 thread/.5 inch. You can
then rethread the shaft and reatach your old shift knob.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
95% of aftermarket shift knobs do not come threaded

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I just found out we have a threader here at work, I just want to be positive on the 20threads per 0.5"

G

·
When you buy an aftermarket shift knob, do you have to thread the inside of it, or how do you install it onto the shifter? Sorry, I know its a dumb question, I've just never done this on a stick car before. thanks.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
i chopped my stock shifter down about 3 1/2 inches...was gonna only go 2 inches but still didn't satisfy me so i went shorter...got me a momo shift knob too...so now its short as hell, no reverse lockout and feels awesome...how short did you go puckpuck?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts