New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had problems with the threaded screw too. What actually happened was that in the middle of the shift tower, there's that black block. That is actually where the torx screws screwed into. What happened was that the threaded part of the block screwed itself out of the block. That meant that I could not get it off, so I just cut the damn thing off...

Here's my How-to for the shirt shifter. Mine was for a 99 cougar. It might be different for a 01-02..

Basically, start by taking off the shift knob and the ring that holds the boot in(actually, it's sorta square). Just take out the ashtray and the cigarette lighter cover, and just pull plastic ring.
Then, Take out your center console. There are two torx screws behind the ashtray and behind the cover for the cigarette ligher. There are two more on the side right by where your right ankle would be. The screws there have a cover on it so it may be difficult to find. Finally, there are 3 more screws inside the armrest.

To get the console actually out, you'll hafta pull the e-brake up as high as it goes, and actually try and push the console down and forward to clear the e-brake, then back out. You'll figure it out.

Take off the foam protective thing that's around the shift tower.

Now you should be faced with just the shift tower.

Start by looking under the shift tower to where the cable is attached to the shifter and disconnect it. either push a button on the side of the cable and pull it out, or just pull it out.. do the same with the cable connected to the side of the shift tower.

Now look at the right side of the shift tower where the spring is at. Memorize or write down the order everything is connected in. It really isn't tough. There's the centering spring, then the part that connects to the cable, then a washer and a clip. I didn't bother putting the spring back in, because I couldn't figure out how the spring went back, and it works just fine.

Now go ahead and pull the clip out, take out the washer, the part that attaches to the cable, and the centering spring.

There are 2 -4 torx scews on the top of the shift tower holding the shifter in. take those out, and pull the whole shifter out.

Attached to the shifter by little "arm" is a white cap. Be careful when taking that off, cuz it can break. Also, take off that rubber thing that's on the ball, and the two white pieces underneath that rubber.

Grease the ball of the new shifter and put those white pieces and the rubber on the new ****er. Put that white "arm" cap on too...

Now just put everything back into the shift tower. There's a black block inside the tower. That is what the torx screws (the ones that are on top of the tower) screw into. Just backtrack through all the steps to finish installing the new shifter.

It seems like a hard thing, but it's actually really simple. It took me a good hour the first time I did it, but 15 minutes every other time. If you got any questions, don't be afraid to ask.. or if anyone has anything to add or that I should change... go ahead and post it.. I mighta missed something since I pulled this out of my memory..

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks Aeries...
i got your reply...i have a 99 too. As for the torx i just greased it up and then used a set of pliers and twisted like hell. Finally got it off....but i'll finish the rest tomorrow. And let you know....
thanks again and good night.
Caro

PS: sorry for the panic and the constant questioning here...!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I did it ..i did it..........but its kinda really stiff the reverse lock out...it sticks up never springs back down. Its the RVM one on ebay...i'll see what results i get.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i'm having trouble disconnecting the bottom cable if anyone has any idea how please post

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Originally posted by: supa
I did it ..i did it..........but its kinda really stiff the reverse lock out...it sticks up never springs back down. Its the RVM one on ebay...i'll see what results i get.
try putting in the spring from the old shifter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts