New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm reading this book

When from out of the blue I turn the page and find the following discussion about why cutting stock springs is a better choice than buying lowering springs.
Very unexpected. I don't really anticipate ever cutting springs unless I'm helping someone else out, but its an interesting read.

·
Premium Member
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
He also dislikes poly bushings but his reasoning is a little unclear. It seems like he was unimpressed with the quality of poly bushings on the market at the time. I suspect the poly bushing suppliers have probably improved the product a lot since the early 90's when the book was written.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hello, I suppose there are products of different quality on the market.

Sometimes I think of the difference in hardness of a shorter spring or cutting a longer spring or tempering a shorter spring compressed by use and time.

And I am not clear about the 3 options, I think I would have to do tests by loading weight on them to see their hardness because what I do not want is to buy a shorter spring and that the result is a softer damping.

What I have seen a lot is to cut the spring with the acetylene torch and then heat and bend the ends a little.

But I think that this varies the tempering of the steel and I don't know if for better or for worse, I think that to do things well after cutting the spring, it would be necessary to give it an adequate heat treatment to make it flexible.

Before I remember that there were companies that specialized in bending and tuning the suspension springs (crossbow) and since the Pikup and other vehicles still have leaf springs (crossbow) I suppose that the process is the same for the springs.

·
Registered
220 Posts
By the way, he is cutting and folding without gloves, with a white shirt, dress pants and shoes ... quite a handyman engineer

1 - 4 of 4 Posts