New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 99 I4 for about 2 months, before installing my ractive muffler it was hard to shift from 3rd into 2nd when slowing down. Ofcourse I was at a speed where it should easily have gone into gear but I had to sorta jam in into gear two. Now that I have my muffler installed I noticed I can put it into second a hell of a lot easier. The same goes for dropping it into first. Can anyone explain this change???

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, reconsidering my originial question...my car is not constant in shifting in that manner. Yet, it has changed...anyone know why?

Another question is...since installing my muffler my car does not tach out at 3.5 or 4.0 x 1000 anymore, it's more like 4.0 - 5.0 x 1000...why is that????

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
changin the muffler really shoudln't have changed much....thinkin it is mostly a coincidence thought you'll notice changes with performance parts you add to your car

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, it's just a coincidence...2nd question...for instance i just installed my ractive muffler this week (straight free flow design) - will that get any louder as i drive? kinda like a subwoofer or speakers, take it easy at first and they'll thump harder later...once their used a little...I was told a muffler would get louder after a while, is that true?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
If it does it wont be much. I feel like my flowmaster got quieter as miles were put on, but I may have just gotten used to it. If you really want your car loud just unbolt exhaust from flexpipe. Sounds awesome and is loud and illegal too!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
it might sound raspier when first insalled.....i noticed that when installing new muffler and after a while they mellowed down a little bit and sounded deeper

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm...i was hoping it would get a little louder...i live in northern maine and not many people up here are into "fixin up" cars so no shops really order many performance parts let alone know anything about them so i had to go online to sounddomain.com and i bought my muffler...obviously you can't hear before you buy...it's ok when its in idle reving..pretty deep...i guess i cant stand behind my car as im going down the road but it doesnt sound too loud...haha i just don't know...i had a friend drive my car by but i couldnt tell

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
do what i said in the other thread....if you're really hurtin for money....you can do this...originally this only cost me 20 bucks....remove the resonator..you'll be amazed how much louder it'll be.....

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha I wouldn't say I was hurtin for money but I'd prefer to not put all my money into my car at this point in time...that's another story...i'm interested in removing the resonator, but nobody has answered my only asked question about this..how much louder would this be? a little more than a subtle difference or will it be really really loud?

·
Banned
4,854 Posts
its not a huge difference. You can definately hear it, but its not loud enough to wake everyone up on your road. it sounds awesome i think

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Originally posted by: carsnrockmusic
do what i said in the other thread....if you're really hurtin for money....you can do this...originally this only cost me 20 bucks....remove the resonator..you'll be amazed how much louder it'll be.....
mine made a huge difference...i couldn't really hear my muffler at all previous to removing the resonator...made it much much louder

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mine made a huge difference...i couldn't really hear my muffler at all previous to removing the resonator...made it much much louder
What kind of muffler do you have on your car? Wasn't stock, right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts