New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello

i have a 99 v6 atx. car has about 127000 miles on it. when i am driving the car about 45 to 55 mph and try to enter passing gear it acts like it is slipping in and out of the passing gear. the transmission was rebuilt last year in december when the car had about 119000 miles (are there any adjustments that might need done?) this just started to happen about 3 weeks ago and it is not everytime. i could drive it one day with out a problem and the next day it will happen.

what i have done so far so try to resolve this problem

cleaned the throttle body
cleaned intake filter. have aem short air
replaced the fuel filter
cleaned all the grounding points.
oil and filter it was time to do it anyways.
replaced pcv
had to replace an o2 sensor in bank2 sensor 1. (one by the raditor)

has anyone else had this problem?

thanks

·
Premium Member
16,842 Posts
How are your plugs looking? when is the last time they were changed?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok still same problem, changed plugs and wires.

i was thinking of changing the coil pack and cleaning the upper and lower intake manifold by using seafoam through the vac hoses. but do i have to chage the oil after i am done cleaning them? i just changed the oil this past sunday.

any other suggestions?

i was thinking of calling the place that rebuilt the tranny to see if there is anything they can look at.

also i have no code or cel. i ran the scanner on it tonight.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
You have an ATX, its gonna be slow. :cover:

You say it does it when trying to get into "passing" gear. Are you downshifting the lever? Or just punching it and letting it "kickdown" into lower gear? It sounds like when you "downshift", its trying to upshift right away, am I right? It won't stay in "passing gear" as long as you want it, I'm assuming?

Just trying to get a better understanding as to exactly what its doing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i dont want it to be faster. just run right.

the problem is just as i explained it i will go into passing gear and it and drop right out. the with out me moving the gas pedal it will go right back in to passing gear.

also anyone know if i have to change the oil after i clean the uim and lim through the vac hoses. like in the how to on the contour site?

·
Om Mani Padme Hum
981 Posts
From a few posts down

Originally posted by: Fett
Some people claim that you can clean off the IMRC motor and get it to work again....but those people are insane. You best bet is to buy a new IMRC and install it. You can do it without removing the intake, inlet pipe, or air box. If it is your first time, you might want to go ahead and remove the intake and clean off the runners.

I replaced my IMRC last week in less than 5 minutes...but I have done it a few times over the past 6 years.

What were the actual error codes for the others?
Call me insane, but I opened it up and cleaned mine out and it NEVER hesitated again.

meh.

·
Registered
334 Posts
TPS I think Trevor wrote a how-to with pics for it in the tranny section. Also look at replacing your transmission fluid with amsoil synthetic.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok here is an update. problem is still happeing. so far here is what have done.
new plugs and wires, replaced imrc, throttle position sensor, and idle air control valve. it runs better but i still feel the problem, what else could it be? any one have any ideas?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wouldnt i be throwing a cel like 1744 on that? i know when i had it rebuilt i was throwing a cel. i think it was 1744. i know it can happen but its only been about 8000 miles on a complete rebuild. would they be able to plug it in at the shop and see if there are any issues with the trans?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.