New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ATX, and I tried to remove my shifter with the aid of the previous post....but I can't never take out the shifter itself..is impossible. I removed the screw at the side..(there is only one right?) but when I tried to pull it up hard, it does not move....so I don't know what to do...is there any tricks? or things that I missed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That's all you need to do, just remove the one side screw. It can be really hard to remove, especially trying to be careful not to damage the OD wires. Just keep trying to pull harder but do it slowly. Maybe a slight side to side motion will help loosen the shift. When I took mine off it was really tough, but it eventually came off. Luckily the OD wires pulled out of the switch perfectly, so I could reroute the existing wire to a new OD switch. Just keep trying and be patient with working it loose.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did this and pulled the wires out of the shifter and had to run the swich. i would recomend cutting the wires under the shift plate first so u dont pull them out cause u cant get them in then just twist to the left and pull up as hard as u can it will come off.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took the shifter out but the O/D wires ripped cleanly...but i didn't see where they came from! so where to the O/D wires conenct to so i can route the switch?

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
The O/D wires run to that harness down there... the two connections on one of the ends. It should be apparent when you look and see the contacts that have been released 'damaged'. As far as removing the ATX shift knob -- PULL. I used my knee on top of it to stop it from moving too far -- and when it popped free, the O/D wires were still all intact. I have it sitting on my desk with the O/D wiring still connected and hanging out the bottom :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
my OD wires snapped off at the switch inside the shifter. If you look down under the shift plate you should see two green wires hanging there, those are the OD wires.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just put the wires on a momentary switsh, drill a hole in the cover that goes arround the shifter and mount the switch there... Easy as pie...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts