New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as i pulled into my driveway i notices something randomly went wrong. as i tryed inching forward i needed alot of gas to keep it from dying..
I stopped the car and was like wtf is this.. try to start it and it jumped like it was in first gear or something when actually it was in what should have been nuteral.

Now..

nothing engages between first and 2nd.
3rd works, 4 is none existent along with reverse.

what im asking is would it be the cable on the right of the shifter causing this cause it looks like its on, or would it be the cable connected to the tranny ?

·
Registered
380 Posts
This just happened to me pulling onto the highway. Turn your steering wheel all the way to the right, take off your driver side tire and stick your head up in the wheel well to where you can get a good look at the shift cables where they meet the tranny. You can easily tell if one of them are either A. Disconnected (good) or B. The grommet either worn away or fell out (bad). If A. is the case, then just push it back on there and you should be fine, if B. is the case, give Bill J a call at Team Ford and ask him for the part. Your local Ford dealer will only sell the whole cable set, from Bill J its like $9.13 or something rather.

Oh, a cheap fix if thats the problem, get some zip ties and go at it :]

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just got done going over everything...

All cables are connected from what i can tell there in the rubber boots still. The clutch link engages from where i can move it, and the clutch itself works because it stops the wheels from spining, yet the tires move without clutch as if it was still in gear.

:(
Ayone else have idea's ? 2morrow im probably gonna disassemble my dash to figure out where the cables running to just incase but it feel's like there's tension. Till then im stuck driving a grand prix GT... :flushed:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts