New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was shifting into second last night and I felt the shifter go very very loose. The car is stuck in first gear. Here are a couple pics. The shifter itself is a custom cougars shifter and I hear they are prone to breaking. :confused: I don't know what the piece is called but, you can see the "shift cable" is not connected to the shifter. How do I fix this?

·
PLATINUM M0DERAT0R
4,995 Posts
Get a set of needle nose pliers and squeeze it back together. I had the same thing happen because it didn't fully lock when I installed my stuff.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,819 Posts
Looks to me like the ball joint is broken off the shifter.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get a set of needle nose pliers and squeeze it back together. I had the same thing happen because it didn't fully lock when I installed my stuff.
I just tried that. I can get the two pieces hooked back together, but as soon as I try shifting, it pops right back out. The metal piece in the second picture just popped out. Is the metal piece supposed to be welded to the shifter?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks to me like the ball joint is broken off the shifter.
Didn't see your post. That is what I was thinking. Check out my last post with pics. If the metal piece is supposed to be welded to the shifter, does that mean all I need is to buy a new shifter?

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,819 Posts
CLASSIC.

That's why it's always better to saw off a stock shifter.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Why not just grind down the back of the shifter and weld the little ball back on?

I bought my Custom Cougar short throw from a CEG'er who was parting out his CSVT that was supposedly in mint condition. When I got it, the ball was wobbling around in the hole in the shifter. So, a buddy of mine and I ground the back of the shifter down to get a clean spot to weld and welded the two back together.

BTW, that shifter is exactly the one that I got that is a Custom Cougars short throw. Even the shift knob looks identical...

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why not just grind down the back of the shifter and weld the little ball back on?

I bought my Custom Cougar short throw from a CEG'er who was parting out his CSVT that was supposedly in mint condition. When I got it, the ball was wobbling around in the hole in the shifter. So, a buddy of mine and I ground the back of the shifter down to get a clean spot to weld and welded the two back together.

BTW, that shifter is exactly the one that I got that is a Custom Cougars short throw. Even the shift knob looks identical...
Because I don't have a welder.

·
Registered
720 Posts
If you have a shifter to put in there for now, you could sent it to me to fix...

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you have a shifter to put in there for now, you could sent it to me to fix...
I am getting the stock shifter from Taras and then will probably just cut that down as it seems like that is going to be the best for durability. If I were to send it to you, how much would you want?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Haha, i know. It was a huge difference when i got the short throw. One good thing about the stocker is that when you are in gear(like third) its way easier to push buttons on the stereo cause now its right on the level with it :rofl:.

The stocker is back on there. I can't believe how tall the stock shifter is, it feels so weird compared to the short throw.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I am getting the stock shifter from Taras and then will probably just cut that down as it seems like that is going to be the best for durability. If I were to send it to you, how much would you want?
Enough to cover shipping back to you and a few bucks for the welding stuff...

PM me if you're interested...

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Argh, my Cosmo short-throw did that exact same thing on the side of the interstate at 2am after a track night for the AZ NECO guys. Not much fun, thankfully I still had the stocker under the drivers seat and the tools to swap it back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts