New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
5,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone shaved there door handles and put those poppers in there to open the door since you don't have door handles anymore?? some of my friends have done this and after a lil while you can tell where they shaved it. looks like the bondo is begging to show through, i was wondering how a body shop would do this so that you can never tell that it has been shaved?

·
Banned
5,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and i believe if this is done to your car you cannot race at a dragway for the quarter mile unless you have a release on the outside, for your doors to open?

·
Registered
554 Posts
yes you can shave em without it showing through go to my 4sale post for mine that are already shaved. I supplied the best pics of when they were on my car and you can see the quality, but also look at shagmonkey, assy, and some other there are plenty of threads on them. Now the track thing i went to englishtown in NJ once and they didnt have a problem with it but i have heard rumors so i guess your best bet is to call wherever you would go and see what they say.....

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Yup, no handles = safety violation and most drag strips will not let you run. (This is the only reason my car still has handles.)

However, if you want to do it, and do it right then you need to cut out a piece of metal in the shape of the handle, remove the entire handle assembly, and then weld the piece into place. The reason your friends handles are showing is because they half-assed it -- most likely only filled the handles and did not remove the grommet material or the assembly itself. Plastic shrinks and expands w/ heat, and bondo does not -- this can also lead to cracking and even worse problems down the road...

E1

1 - 5 of 5 Posts