New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Excelcier Strikes Back
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, it took a while but I was busy. I now have 8 units 100% complete and the installation instructions / guide ready and my webpage updated with information to get your own.

Here's a vid of it installed on my other Cougar

Here's the install manual
http://excelcier.com/market/st/Sequential_Taillight_Installation_Manual.pdf

Here's my web link for everything
Excelcier.com - Ron Zlotnik

Photos are here;
Sequential Taillights - October 29, 2009

Vid is here;

I have finally developed these real units for sale and installation on your existing vehicles using your existing tallight bulbs.

As a bonus, these aren't just turn signals and hazzards, but these will also be sequencing brakes as well!!!!!!!!!!!!! When you hit the brake pedal, both sides will scroll on and stay on until you let go of the pedal.

There is also a hidden fun easter egg in these units too. :evil:

I have completed hand building 3 units already and I am planning on building up to 10 more in the next month or so.

Quick note on prices, I'm not a company, I don't have chinese child laborers, I have 2 years of design tweaking and prototype testing and many hours of manual assembly labor plus raw material in each unit. If you think it's too expensive, don't buy it but don't complain about the cost. If you can do better... please do! I welcome the challenge.

Also once this unit is installed, the car will think your bulbs are out and your blinkers will blink too fast. You will need to do the mod to your flasher module to slow it down. Here's the how to;

http://excelcier.com/flasher/HOW-TO-blinkingrate.doc

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I want.. I'm poor. I do have a wire harness though. not for both lights but if you want it and would keep that in the back of your mind when/if I ever get the money for one I could send it your way. I can't even honestly say what side its from. I just saw it laying with my random parts.

·
8,512 Posts
This looks like fun - I was just explaining to Erica that people have done it for the Cougar. Maybe I'll get one. (Though I still think it'd be cool to make the tow dolly's turn signals join in the sequence. ;) )

One question that might be helpful for the '99 owners - you mentioned that the flasher will be confused by them, and provided a solution. But what about the bulb-outage indicator? Will that be affected?

·
Excelcier Strikes Back
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, should you happen to have the version with the silly "bulb out" indicator in your overhead pile of idiot lights, than yes, it'll be lit up. The fix for that is to yank out that overhead, get a pair of plyers and snap off that little surface mount LED. Voila, fixed! hahaha.. While you're in there, I suggest also yanking out that useless brake pad worn down LED too. :p

·
8,512 Posts
Yes, should you happen to have the version with the silly "bulb out" indicator in your overhead pile of idiot lights, than yes, it'll be lit up. The fix for that is to yank out that overhead, get a pair of plyers and snap off that little surface mount LED. Voila, fixed! hahaha.. While you're in there, I suggest also yanking out that useless brake pad worn down LED too. :p
I happen to like those lights. So there!

·
Supercharged
2,497 Posts
An alternative that I use is after you're done signalling and braking (the only time the light comes on) is to tap the brakes after the signal stops and it goes back off.

Of course I have a beta version that doesn't sequential out on brake, so this might not work with the new ones.

·
Excelcier Strikes Back
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
Looks Awesome Ron. Is there a limit on these or will you have them/make them maybe around tax return time?:biggrin:
My dad has these on his Mustang and Ive always wanted a set but Im kinda swamped right now with the Roush wheel endeavor Ive started.:goofy:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Two questions I have about these, first, are you ever going to stop making these at some point or are you going to keep making these for quite a while so I know I have time to eventually save up for these. Two since I have no knowledge as of yet on how to run the wire for the power (though I'm sure I'll have it by the time I can afford these or have a family member help me out) what state do you reside in so I can find out if the option to have you install them is an option to me lol.

Edit: I just have to say these look completely different than I envisioned and they look WAYYYY better than I originally envisioned :rofl: these are sick.

·
Excelcier Strikes Back
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Two questions I have about these, first, are you ever going to stop making these at some point or are you going to keep making these for quite a while so I know I have time to eventually save up for these. Two since I have no knowledge as of yet on how to run the wire for the power (though I'm sure I'll have it by the time I can afford these or have a family member help me out) what state do you reside in so I can find out if the option to have you install them is an option to me lol.

Edit: I just have to say these look completely different than I envisioned and they look WAYYYY better than I originally envisioned :rofl: these are sick.
Well I'm no where near you, I see you're in Arizona so unless you want to make a huge road trip to the Detroit area, or fly my down you're going to have to brave this one on your own. If you're a competent modifier and electrical guy, it's doable. As for me continuing to make these, well, I have 10 units in the plans with 8 done right now. Depending on how well these go, I may or may not make more. I haven't decided as of yet.

Thanks for the compliment! It's nice to hear. I really do love how they ended up looking too. There is a hidden "easter egg" too... it does even more than just what you see in that video! ;)

·
Registered
500 Posts
ok. sorry i saw the modules and figured you needed one module for each taillight. lol stupidity.. anyway how hard is this to install i am good with electronics and electrical, i just am not 100% with car electrical.

·
Excelcier Strikes Back
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
500 Posts
Just put my order in for this setup and the strobe reverse kit.

cant wait to get it installed ill take pics and vid of final install!

·
Registered
500 Posts
wow increadible! 3 days after putting the order in i have both units at my doorstep! I just got done installing both and wow, the instructions couldnt of been easier to follow. Thanks alot man they look great! Ill post a vid of the final install soon!

ps- to anyone who does buy this kit i suggest doing the mod to fix the front turn signals. i drove it around for about 15 minutes and listening to CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK 5 times a second is extremely annoying. ill be fixing that tomorrow when its not snowing out :)

1 - 20 of 133 Posts