New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing my routine oil change and noticed that I had some fluid leaking through a gasket in the picture, its on the drvers side of the engine, and im not sure if its associated with the tranny or the oil.... I was hoping someone might be able to help me out on it.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Your picture is of the transmission oil pan- It would stand to reason that your trans oil pan gasket is beginning to leak- On a '99 with no prior work to the trans, I'm not all that surprised. You can get a new gasket, and it would at the same time be a good opportunity to do a trans flush.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Here's a quick one...

The transmission contains fluid, so removing the pan will cause several quarts of fluid to quickly exit the transmission case, so you'll want to be ready for that.

Once the fluid is drained, remove the pan, use a razor blade or other good scraper to remove all gasket material from both the pan and the transmission case. Be careful not to contaminate the insides of the transmission with the gasket material.

Lay a bead of Perma-tex Part 2A gasket sealant (black silicone sealant will work, but I have never liked that stuff, and it literally stinks) around the perimeter of the pan where the gasket goes, and set the new gasket in place. Then mate it to the transmission casing (no sealant between the gasket and the transmission case should be used), and tighten the bolts evenly around the pan in a clockwise direction until the gasket begins to deform (buldge from around each bolt hole). Then fill the transmission with the needed amount of fluid (estimate by how much came out as you loosened the pan). Check the final fluid level while in park, engine hot & running.

If you're going to do a trans fluid flush, remove the upper trans cooler line from the radiator (you'll see it coming into the radiator on the passenger side) and from the transmission to completely remove the line from the car. Then re-attach only the transmission end of the line, and point the other end into an empty 5 gallon bucket or similar. With several quarts of new transmission fluid at the ready, start the car. Fluid will being shooting out of the cooler line into the bucket. Add fluid at the same rate you're losing it, stopping every 30 seconds or so to ensure you have sufficient fluid in the transmission. Repeat until the fluid coming out of the cooler line into the bucket runs bright red. Then, re-attach everything the way it was, start it up to check for leaks and for a final fluid level check.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts