New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't figure it out and can't get an answer from any of the sites I have been on. Something seems to be holding the heat shield and tank together. Ended up cutting the filler neck hose and the vapor hose off the filler neck. There was only one strap to remove. Hard to imagine the kind of nightmares an engineer had to have to fill in all the empty space that could have been under there. Maybe they were a little angry at Ford customers and wanted revenge lol. Cutting a hole under the back seat sounds better every time I crawl under that vehicle lol, but don't think I would ever do that. Seems that there is not a lot of information specifically for this 1992 model. Well if I don't figure it out pretty soon I will probably give this DIY project to my local code enforcement department.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got the tank off back in July. Had 2 bolts in it I couldn't find until I jacked it up a lot higher. Never seen a gas tank like this. The heat shield seems to be attached in some way. Haven't found any bolts or screws to separate them. At one time on 2 different searches I found the complete tank for sale (used, one even had the pump and all the other tank parts with) that one was $425.00 plus shipping. The other was an empty tank for $325 or so, don't really remember. Already had all the used stuff I wanted LOL! After trying several cleaners I ended up using Evap-rust plus Rust-oleum. 3 applications letting it dry right now.Finally ordered the hose (81/2 " long x11/2 " x 15/8 ") from E-Bay. Will have to cut it but that's ok. The other hose is 5/8 " connecting the 2 part tank together and a piece that goes to the fuel filler tube. Finding the fuel tank vent valve was fairly easy but finding the grommet or seal that the vent valve fits in was a trip. Finally decided I would check at the Ford Dealer one more time even though I had not luck the other times I checked there (but it seemed like The LORD was leading me to check there again. Sometimes it depends on the parts person you get. Anyway they didn't have it under the number on the old one but he crossed it over some how and he found one. Praise God!!~

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Accidentally posted that before I wanted to. Just in case it might help someone and save them some time and frustration here are a couple of the part numbers I found to replace the old parts.
The Fuel tank vent valve is a Dorman #911-060 $21.00 , the fuel tank vent valve grommet or seal #F6TZ-9B076-AA $8.00. The vent hoses and tank crossover hoses are just 5/8" fuel line and the fuel filler tube to the gas tank hose is the same they don't make it anymore so I just had to find one that is really close on IDs and I can cut to length. Hope this helps someone and like I said maybe save a lot of time and frustration. But so far it's fun cause you just have to look at the finished product and enjoy what successes we have.
Be blessed! and thanks to all who responded .
Will let you know if I get it started or my next dilemma LOL, by for now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts