New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What RPM do these things open up? It feels like around 3600 RPM, b/c every know and then I get a jerk at that RPM near full throttle crossing 3600.

Also, do they open up at WOT regardless of the RPM?

Do they close at a higher RPM? The reason I ask is in the Probe GT, the VRIS had two butterflies, they both closed at like 6700 RPM.

Does the superchips module modify this?

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
they open between 3400 and 3700 between on throttle position and speed and stuff... and we have a fuel and ignition cut-off in our engines

G

·
they open at 3400-4300RPM depending on throttle position and will continue to open depending on throttle position up to fuel cutoff which occurs (in some debate right now some 6300,some 6500, some 7200RPMS)and at WOT, they will fully open and then close depending on throttle position.

G

·
It's called the IMRC (Intake manifold Runner Coltrol) which controls a butterfly valve for the intake air to take either a short or long path into the combustion chanber.

That said, mine opens at exactly 4000rpm both at WOT and 25% throttle sitting in neutral. Although I sometimes feels the power surge closer to 3600rpm, I doubt the IMRC is changing until 4000. But I'd like to borrow the tool again to test it on the road under load.

Without going into any greater detail, you do not want to change this. Making the IMRC switch over at 2000rpm will do nothing but bog the engine down. The design is optimized to provide two torque peaks, one with each set of intake runners. You'd be losing the lower peak. And trying to adjust it for 3300rpm vs. 3800rpm (if possible) will cause a minor, inconsistent change in performance. Driver skill plays a larger roll such as launching and shifting.

Aaron

G

·
ya i would imagine that they are set their for a reason by engineers who know a whole hell of a lot more about it than any of us (well, except maybe puck puck) and it wouldn't be worth trying to chane any of those settings, but chips do tinker a bit in the opening position and closing position.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
<< ya i would imagine that they are set their for a reason by engineers who know a whole hell of a lot more about it than any of us (well, except maybe puck puck) and it wouldn't be worth trying to chane any of those settings >>

ok now your bullshit is going to far... you are deliberatly coming out to attack me... do you have a crisis or something you would like to talk about... what is your problem... you are acting very childish, in fact my 3 year old niece has more maturity than that

would you mind turning on your PM so we can discuss this like adults obviously you have some problems with me that need to be discussed

G

·
Ok, PuckPuck. I am not being a smart-ass, I really think you know your stuff. So don't the secondaries opening at 3400 to 3700 have something to do w/ our DOHC producing more power in the higher RPM range? If so, you would't be doing anything good by changing this to open sooner. Does that make sense?

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
shouldn't help at all by opening them sooner... maybe a few hundred RPM sooner but dont' try anything drastic... the way the intake runners are designed is for this to happen at a given RPM and current intake needs depending on throttle pos....

G

·
if you start incorporating opening secondaries sooner you'll probably lose performance, and the reason is because they are not tuned to make power until higher RPM, and higher rebound rates, at lower speeds you need the long runners to make the power. what your talking about would be almost like VTEC switching cams much sooner than 5600, it would contradict the verocities of having multiple runners and valves.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.