New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this has been brought up before, but I have an atx and I noticed (compared to other cars ive driven) second gear is slow. When Im at the street races every weekend, most of the times I get beat is done during second gear.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
At what rpm does 2nd gear land at during the 1-2 shift at full throttle?

G

·
yeah my moms mazda has a way better kick into 2nd and its a 4 banger...
i usually take overdrive off (i have a 2001 so idunno if 99/00 models have auto overdrive) i'm assuming they do, you could try manually shifting too, that works pretty good, jsut don't forget while your at the stoplight and blow a tranny (almost happened cause i'm retarded, potheads shouldn't manually shift i guess) idunno some kinda short term memory loss thing. i hope my feeble intellect can assist you in some way atx comrad
ZERO™

·
Registered
902 Posts
Don't manually shift. I've heard many people say that their Cougar's tranny starts going from doing that. Also, my first gear is what seems slow (when stomping on it from dead start) but all my other gears except 4th go really slow. 3rd slows down but 4th is SLOW

G

·
First: No offense, but you bought an automatic - what was the question again? Really, it's not meant for drag racing unless you have a reason to keep the boost up (turbo or supercahrgers).

Second: The gears on automatics are generally taller meaning they will go faster in each gear. Like I hit redline at 56mph in my 5-speed manual car. The taller gear will provide slower accerlation because it has to stay longer out of it's peak hp & tq rpms. What do your autos hit in second gear, 75mph or so? I'm almost through 3rd by then which means I'm staying at the higher rev band and putting down more power.

Katnyp asked the only good lead question. What rpm is the engine at right after a redline shift out of first gear? Probably in the low 3000 range which is well below the peak torque and right in that dead range on power/torque.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I was plotting the RPMs vs. speed for the ATX and MTX Cougar... I noticed something interesting. The ATX does a good job of keeping the engine in its powerband at all speeds except in 2nd gear at around 40-55. This is probably what kills our 0-60 times. Going from 1-2, our revs drop down to the low 3000s. This is nowhere near our powerband. On the otherhand, the 2-3 gearing makes the ATX killer on the highway from 55-115. There's only so much you can do with 4 speeds...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.