New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my local Advance Auto last week and notice they are now stock the ohh so great Seafoam. I personal have no never used it but want to give it a try. I was reading there web site and it says you can add it via: Gas or oil.

Has anyone used it in the oil method and how much did you add?? Also did it do anything??? Thanks

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I added a little less than 1/3 of the can to my oil. I changed the oil ~100 milles later and I didn't notice any difference.

I wouldn't recommend adding it to the oil unless you plan on changing your oil soon after (as it dilutes your oil).

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well thats why i wanted to do it since i only have about 500 miles left till my next change.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Agreed that you should NOT add any additive like this to the oil except right before an oil change - like 10 to 20 gently driven miles before!

Also, try injecting some through a main vacuum line while the engine is running to help clean the intake manifolds, butterfly valves, etc. (directions are on the can). To clean injectors, just add some to your petrol.

I'm not at all an additive guy but for $5 every oil change or two, it could prevent a premature upper intake manifold tear down and cleaning and plugged injector.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used replaced both intake manifolds with SVT ones about 3,000 miles ago. The lower was a brand new one and the upper i cleaned very good. I am starting to build my 3L so its not a big deal. I just figured i would try it out. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yep, the best way to use seafoam is to pull a vacuum line or the PCV hose and *SLOWLY* suck it up through it. This will get in your intake and on your valves and clean all the carbon off. What you want to do is suck up about half of it, then start sucking it a little faster until the motor dies completely (this is normal). Let the car sit for 5-10 minutes then restart it. The car will smoke like a %#^& but again, its completely normal. Let it idle for 10-15 minutes and most of the carbon will be cleaned off the valves, intake, pistons, and combustion chambers.

BTW, you'll never notice a difference with seafoam, but it is a good idea to keep your motor clean and carbon free. Too much carbon build up can lead to detonation because of hotspots.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.