New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick story...

Was driving home from my brother's house, after playing a bit of hockey, and I'm the only car on the road. This road (Woodbine in Toronto, at Queen St. E) goes southbound to the water (lake ontario), then banks right and goes along it. I'm driving down south, slowly, paying attention to some low RPM thing I'm trying to figure out. I see a car coming westbound (the other direction, before the same curve, which will curve northbound for him to where I am now), and it's a white beater, and I swear this guy is going 140km/hr. Absolute deathwish. *Maybe* you could do that dry with some suspension mods and nice tires.... this was -12C out, with black wet roads.

The guy starts to make the curve, and I'm watching, transfixed and horrified, and loses his line, hits some snow and the start of a guardrail that begins at curb level, launches off this like a ramp, hits the <u>second</u> level support beams of a house's terrace on the curve... two terraces on the two levels on the front of this house. They collapse as he mows through them and he's spinning, and comes to rest on the snowy sidewalk.

I throw my hazards on, grab my maglight I keep in the car for security, and run to the car. 911 asks me "police, fire, or ambulance", and I'm in shock, telling them to send everything. I get to the car, the driver and passenger were both unconscious. Both pretty lacerated. The driver is slumped with his head kind of against the side of the passenger seat, and what looks like a snowbrush impaled through his jacket into his arm. The passenger's feet are in the passenger footwell, and his head is against where the driver's glass WOULD be. He's ON the driver, yet somehow pinned UNDER the steering wheel. The car's still running, and there's tunes blaring on the tinny little radio in the car (early 90's 323 or similar white hatchback beater). Other people show up (from the house that had the front terraces collapse), and after a few minutes the passenger regains some consciousness. He's really confused, and the whole time, the ambulance dispatcher is asking me all sorts of questions and getting me to observe their condition. The other people tell me the driver (looking from the passenger side) is bleeding like a sieve. I walk over, and there's blood running down the brush, but also from somewhere higher up. I can see a huge gash in his forehead, and although he's breathing, he's not conscious.

As the passenger becomes conscious, he wants to move but the ambulance guy on the phone tells me to tell them not to move him. He's confused, and he's saying "I gotta get outta here... who is this guy? this guy is freaking me out" He's saying that about his friend, the driver, who's chest he is against. He doesn't even realize that's his buddy. The driver's wheezing in a weird way, quick gulp in of air, and wheeze out.

When ambulance shows up, they get the passenger out, and he seems OK, but totally confused, asking what happened and stuff. They pull the driver out, and he still isn't conscious, although for sure he was breathing the whole time because you could see his breath, and hear him. I overhear the paramedics saying there's "grey matter"... like brains... on the guy, or in the car or something. Another civilian at the scene overheard a paramedic say to the cop (a minute or two after they loaded him into the ambulance) "This guy's toast".

Apparently, the back of his head was split open, and when I looked in the car later, in the pool of blood, and on the seat, I could see the "grey matter" in the blood.

The cop who took my statement, confirmed the guy was dead.

Guys... I apologize for the morbid recount... but listen... be safe out there. Seriously... I don't know if this guy was drinking or what, but the passenger was only 27. Driver looked about the same age. It's fun to race and stuff, but this really makes me rethink things. Try and be careful... I'm asking myself if I will finally learn from seeing these things, and be a bit more careful myself.

Things like drinking and driving can be avoided... just make the right decisions... please.

Sorry for the recount, but I just got back, it's 1:30am, and I'm a little shaken...

Massiv.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Thats terrible, Its unfortunate you experianced such a tramatic event. Stuff like that will stay with you always, I hope you are ok, and take this as a learning experiance.

Machines are capable of deadly things, but its the user who causes them to do so. Drive safe.

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
I'm sorry you had to witness something like that and see it firsthand. It's a good lesson to learn, if the man was drinking. And in general, be safe when you're driving; never push a vehicle beyond what you know it can do. If you're not sure what it can do, then you don't know.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Crap that sucks for you man, The sad things are that there will always be people doing stupid sh1t like that, but the worst of it is they are not just killing themselves, they are killing innocent people.

[GnuLoCo]

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
My GOD you have to wonder what possibly could've happened.
Was he wasted, was he just trying to show off or did he just not know about the curve?
That's craziness.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm sorry you had to see that. I'm a medic and see it everyday, I'm glad you took the time and stopped, a lot of people don't. You're right let that be lesson to everyone about being careful.

·
Registered
184 Posts
really sorry to hear about you having to be a witness to something like that. it's a shame that the driver was being so reckless, and you gotta feel sorry for the passenger to have to go through something like that.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey...

Yeah, this is a really unfortunate event. I just feel really bad for both those guys. One's dead... and the other is probably reeling right now, realizing that his buddy's dead, and he escaped relatively unscathed. Luckily, if one had to die, it was the driver. I don't feel any blame or reproach though... just sadness for these guys. It's currently unknown if they had been drinking, although it appeared they were dressed up as if coming back from a bar (and were heading out of the downtown area). It's definitely lucky no one else got hurt, or that the car didn't penetrate the side of the house. I have a friend who is a cop in that division, so I will probably find out more later.

Can't help keep replaying it, and thinking about the guy's life, his family, maybe a girlfriend... aspirations... goals....

Massiv.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'm really sorry you had to see that. My dad was a paramedic and he used to see that stuff all the time. It's hard to do but try not to think about the other people in the driver's life that may have affected. It'll just eat you up inside. Just remember if you hadn't stopped maybe the passenger wouldn't have made it. Thats what my dad said helped him. He concentrated on the good he was able to do. It's not your fault the driver did something stupid. But because you cared enough to call 911 and helped, the passenger is still alive. Thats what you need to focus on.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the support guys.. Pretty upsetting. I called Toronto police today, and they advised me that they had a news release about the crash. Story hasn't hit the papers yet, but there is info on Toronto Police website: Click Here.

The police told me the guy was actually from Ottawa, about 4 hours from Toronto. Sad thing is, he probably just didn't know, and couldn't see, that the road curved there. There is another road that looks like it continues on, but it is behind the bend. That road (lakeshore) is pin straight, and very fast up to that point, and people regularly go 100kph (60mph), although it is a 60kph zone. Judging by the tunes that were playing in the car, they were probably sailing along, just having a good time, when he suddenly saw the curve, and couldn't make it. Another possibility is that he might've been out of windshield washer fluid. I have seen countless drivers lately (mostly in the fast lane on highways going slow, go figure) with nearly opaque windshields, driving blind, because they don't have any washer fluid and the road salt has clouded the view.

Massiv.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Originally posted by: Massiv
I have seen countless drivers lately (mostly in the fast lane on highways going slow, go figure) with nearly opaque windshields, driving blind, because they don't have any washer fluid and the road salt has clouded the view.
I know exactly what that's like. When i was driving south today to go pick up my LIM i had to stop several times to clean off my windsheild so i can see. I have plenty of windsheild washing fluid. But my friend and I didn't cut the holes for the nozzles yet...i'm beginning to regret that decision.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
man... the craziest part about that, is that the driver never knew what happend... as it was happening, he probably just felt the first initial hit, and then......nothing...... just *blackness*
I've been in 2 minor accident, and i know how fast that first hit happens... i can't even begin to think about "what if that was it... just one hit, and then 'lights out' a split second afterwards" you would be dead, not being able to say goodbye to anyone, or know what happend to your friend, the friends you saw that night, or the people you had plans with tomorrow...

THAT is something too unsettling for me think about, but that whole story was a scary reminder of how you can be alive one minute and gone the next... :(

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ND4SPD, I always wonder the same things about stuff like that.

Anyway, here's the final update. Got word from my buddy on that force. Lab results showed he did have alcohol in his blood. He didn't hear the actual amount, but the word "drunk" was used to describe him based on the results. Sadly, his DUI good times left his two kids without a dad... Stupid, yes, but we've all done stupid things, and thankfully walked out of it. I guess the lessons here are clear, eh?

Massiv.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Massiv;
I'm sorry you had to see that disturbing scene. I personally have seen to many of them when I was a firefighter/emt in upstate NY, including some classmates and a best friend, who I did CPR on for an hour. It is just another reason not to drink and drive.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey Man,
That's horrible to hear, I hope you come out okay. Although it is tragic, its is always a better way to learn a life's lesson from someone else. I use to think drinking and driving was no big deal, and I am not proud to admit, but I've probably drove when I shouldn't have. I will never drink and drive again. It comes down to this: $20.00. What is $20.00? If your caught drinking and driving its the price of your freedom.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts