New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone, or all of us, needs to find some property to store these cars so they don't end up rotting away in a junk yard somewhere! If I had the property, I'd donate a portion of it. I've found several of the new Cougars for sale for under $1000, and most of those are "NEEDS A NEW HOME"! Ford only made a little over 12K of these Cougars in 2000. I am assuming that there are less than 60K total built in the US between 99-02! If you do the math, and with statistics, less than 30K are still on the road. That number seems to be dropping rapidly too. In Maryland, where I live, it is almost impossible to find a 99 or 00 in the junk yard. If you do, it's been stripped already. Parts are getting harder and harder to find. We need to save this car from a slow and painful extinction!

Any thoughts? Am I just being crazy or paranoid?

·
8,493 Posts
Sooner or later, a broken-but-irreplaceable part is what will kill all of our Cougars. There's not enough of them for an aftermarket to support them.

If you want to start a Cougar junkyard, go ahead...I'm not opposed to the idea, but I don't particularly want it on my yard, either.

Edit: Also, hello, fellow Marylander. Where are you at?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
There's not much aftermarket support at all. With ford releasing the information they're going to kill production on most of their cars thats going to bring even less support in years to come I think.
If we truely love these cars the lack of parts shouldn't take them off the road. The lack of modifying the cars to make something work is whats going to do it.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Ive got the land in a dry, low oxygen environment (11,000 ft elev. in Colorado) if you want to donate the funds to build the warehouse. Its a residential neighborhood and they wouldnt tolerate an open air junkyard. :rofl:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Start a GoFundMe and see if the site moderator will allow you to post it on here. I'll donate what I can.

·
Administrator
11,458 Posts
I thought I remember some numbers thrown around and at peak sales they sold 89k Cougars for one year. One of the things I think will kill a lot of these cars is not being able to find headlights in good shape.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Someone should get clear filament and make a 3D image. Then they can customize it for just about anything.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
With as easy as they are to clean up, its going to have to be really bad condition before they're unusable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts