New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all i was just wondering if anyone has sanded/wet sanded and primed there own SW bumper and if yes how would i go about doing this? please help i would really like to do this to save some $$$$$$$

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
take it to a body shop, trust me! unless you have a sprayer and paint booth you will f_-_ it up. any dust or hair will show like you wouldn't belive. I fyou can't afford it, just wait.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i want them to piant it i just want to sand it down and prime it.. you still think i should take it to a body shop?

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
sanding you could do yourself....thats not a big deal.
but for priming, they might have to.
cause primer is a type of paint... its just flat grey and goes on under the color coat.

but im not 100% sure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Having worked in a body shop I would leave it for the pros unless you are going to do it all. Sanding it won't save you that much money in the long run and most body shops don't like customers trying to do part of the work. If you do sand it and get a shop to paint it a couple things could happen:
The primer and paint could "pop" because the surface was not sanded good enough.
Any imperfections from you sanding could show through the paint and end up making it look worse.
And the majority of the time a new part for a car no matter if it is a bumper or a door or what have you does not actually need to be sanded. It just needs to be scuffed down to rough it up so the primer sticks to it. Then you need to wet sand the primer with 400 grit to smooth it down for the paint to lay on real nice.
You can paint it yourself if you know what you are doing, but like Heggy said any dust or grit that gets in will stand out real bad. Also if you do not wipe it down real good with a cleaner any armour-all or grease or wax that might be on it will cause the paint to fish-eye and that never looks good. If you are going to try this yourself I would make sure to clean and prep everything real good and if you are going to paint it in a garage mist water on the floor to keep the dust down. Once you are done wet sanding and buffing can remove any little imperfections that worked there way into the paint.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts